Indiana Babies
Options

Cloth diaper questions

I am finally (after 2 weeks of fighting a stomach bug) feeling human again.  I am trying to get baby shower stuff together for my cousin and bestie who are hosting my shower in about 8 weeks.

We would like to CD this baby girl and have a small start on our stash.  I need some guidance on what all we will need.

What I have so far  (it's not much!). . .

BG 3.0 - 4

KL0's - 3

GoodMama's  fitted -1

Thirsties XL covers - 4

Imse Vimse cover NB size - 1

Soakers - 2 wool and 2 fleece

I also need to know where to do an on-line registry for CD's & supplies.  BRU has some bamboo wipes and BG 4.0 that I've added to my registry there, but I would like a larger selection.

Any advise from you experts CDers is welcome and appreciated!

Re: Cloth diaper questions

• Options

We bought the Chinese prefolds and covers but ended up not CDing until LO was 2.5 months and then we just used our BGs. I have about 22 (I think) BGs and love them. I personally like having all the same brand because I know how to use them, they have the same washing instructions and I know they don't leak and work well. So I'm not much help :)

However, I would definitely suggest more BGs (with snaps, not velcro!). You can never have enough. And don't buy Happy Heinys, we have 2 and they suck. We only use them if it's a last resort. Also don't buy the all in one BGs (with the insert permanently attached to the shell) they leak, too. 

• Options
    I am super excited to help with this topic (one of my favs!) but I don't have a lot of time to get into it too deeply tonight.  If you don't get a lot of answers right now since it seems like the board is pretty slow, feel free to PM me and I will definitely get back to you once I am back at work after the new year =)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Forgot your question about the online registry! Abby's Lane is an awesome cloth diaper site with free shipping on everything (can't beat that!). You can set up an online registry through them: https://www.abbyslane.com/registry.php They have really great customer service and ship fast. 
  • Options

Thanks for the input!  I think BG's will work best for us also - providing they fit our baby well - since they are daddy friendly.

Shauna - I will be PM'ing you for sure!  I feel like I am so behind on getting things ready.  I can't believe I am almost in my 3rd trimester!  Where on earth did the time go??

• Options

We borrowed our NB stash, so I'm not much help there. You won't need the XL covers for a long time, so those can hang in the back of your storage system.

I'd recommend against having all one sort of diaper--there's no guarantee that they'll work, your kiddo's size will change as she grows and the things that fit beautifully at one point might not work at all later, and we've found that superfluff is fabulous for some things but not others, and trim really trim diapers are important if you want to fit in the car seat.

For fitteds that need covers:

We LOVE Once Upon a Baby for fluffy, super absorbent, cute and affordable.

Bububebes are another superfluffy fabulous one, but not as affordable.

I've recently been bitten by the Blubeberry bug, but those suckers are not cheap.

For diapers that don't need covers:

We have some BGs. They're fine. But Mariana is a super champion pee-er, and we have to at least double the microfiber with a hemp insert, and have had to do so since she was 5 weeks.

Love, love, love the Fuzzibunz. Fitteds are great, one-size are great, just love them.

We're trying to decide about Kawaii and whether we want to try them, or invest more in things we know we love.

I have never heard anything good about Happy Heineys, ever, even from the women who own our local cloth diaper stores. One of them won't even carry the HHs, because they just don't seem to work for anyone.

We also have some Thirsties Duo Diapers, which are fine. They're not the top of the pile, they're not the "oh dear Lord, are we really so in need of laundry that we have to use THESE?" diapers, they're just squarely in the middle. Rumor has it that they're going to bring back something like their discontinued FabFitteds, in some sort of duo sizing and hopefully more absorbent. If they do that, I will be first in line to try them.

If you don't already know about them, check out AFFF hemp inserts, they're the best things on the planet.

And check Spot's Corner on Hyenacart for deals on used diapers--that's how we've tried things and discovered 

Thirsties covers are, for reasons I can't really understand, the ones that work better than anything else we've tried.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Mother's Day, 2011
  • Options
    Thanks!  That's a wealth of information! And I realized I accidently put XL for the thirsties cover size - they are actualy XS - ooops!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"