North Dakota Babies

LO sleep...

Reading Jennifer's post got me thinking... who would care to share their general daytime routine?

Including eating, naps, naptime/bedtime routine, and how long it takes your LO to fall asleep, please Smile

ETA:  The idea being that those who have had some success can inspire those who are having trouble, and maybe those who are having trouble can pick up some pointers.

Re: LO sleep...

• Briley's routine:

7 am wake up, get dressed eat solids, then playtime

8:45ish: BF, paci, rock and read Goodnight Moon, then put her down with the seahorse for a nap.  She plays/fusses for usually 30-45 minutes before she falls asleep, then sleeps only about 45 minutes.

11:00 Eat solids.

11:45ish: Same routine as for 9 am nap but she will play/fuss for up to an hour and 15 min before she falls asleep.  I only leave her for more than an hour if she is laying down and really looks like she is about to go to sleep.  Thank God for the video monitor.  This nap also generally lasts less than an hour.

Mid afternoon - BF again (time really varies).  She sometimes acts tired but hasn't taken a 3rd nap in ages so I stopped trying.

5: Eat solids

Bedtime routine:  Bath (every other day), PJs, BF, rock and read book if she is not already passed out.  Bedtime depends on the rest of the day but with her crappy napping lately it has been 5:30 or 6.

I have been trying to get her down to only nursing around 4-5 am during the night (this is before I leave for work).  Sometimes she does that, sometimes more.

The other day for Blair she took an hour and 20 min AM nap and 2 and a half hour PM nap.  She used to do this all the time with me but I don't know what happened! He says he has no trouble getting her down.  I was trying to figure out what we are doing different but can't figure it out. I look for her to rub her eyes or start having meltdowns as sleepy cues, he says he puts her down at 9, or 9:30 if she woke up at 8.

She will not nap with me, she doesn't like to be rocked, I have tried staying in with her and patting her back - that was a comical battle to try to get her to lay down.

As I type this, she is jumping in her crib.  Yesterday, (some of you saw on FB) she took off her pants.  Crazy kid.

• Sophia wakes up at 8:30am, practically on the dot

Breakfast at about 9:00 (She usually eats a banana, some yogurt & milk)

Drop off at SIL's between 10:00-10:30

Lunch w/milk at about 11:30

Nap at 12:00 -- She sleeps anywhere from 1 to 2 1/2 hours, just depends

I pick Sophia up between 4:30-5:00

2nd Nap any time between 5:00-6:00, depending on when we get home. This is a short one, usually anywhere from 30 mins-1 hour

Dinner around 7ish w/milk (She pretty much eats what we eat, depending on what we're eating that night).

8:00 - Start routine of bath, play time, we read Goodnight Moon at least 3 times.

She fusses at night and it's usually a struggle to get her down. We aim for about 9:00 but sometimes she doesn't finally lay down for the evening until 9:30-10:00 -- She gets out of bed because she wants to be with us. One of us has to lay down with her until she is totally O-U-T -- even then she gets up in the middle of night pretty much every night to be with us in our bed.

That's pretty much our day! She snacks throughout the day as well, but there's no timing for that -- She usually asks for a snack and we just give her crackers, cheese, fruit, whatever...

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker ashley jordan est. 06.07.08 | siesta key, fl
  • Loading the player...
  • Gianna's Routine:

7am- Wake up and give a 6oz bottle and some food (waffle etc)

9am- Naptime: She goes down pretty good for us, usually we just rock her and she falls asleep and then we put her in her crib

11:15ish- 8oz bottle

12:00- Nap (same routine as 9am)

1:00- Lunch (cheese, gerber snacks, etc...)

3:00- 8oz bottle

3:30- Nap

5:00- Dinner (sweet potatoes, mash potatoes, chicken etc)

7:30pm- Bedtime: Bath, than 8oz bottle in her room, and usually she passes out

**She sometimes wakes up once or twice at night for her paci-she will climb up the side of her crib and cry so we have to go in and lay her back down...some nights we have to rock her back to sleep....

**Also, as you know G hates baby food so we have to find big food she can eat..sometimes a challenge..

**G's naps usually only last 30 mins...eeekkk

• Our schedule has been wacky since I've been off for Christmas break, but here is our "normal" routine when I'm working:

6:45am----I wake K up and he takes a 6 oz bottle.  I get him dressed and Josh takes him to the sitter's house around 7:30am. 

8:00am----Breakfast (some kind of organic fruit baby food)

9:30ish----8 oz bottle, then nap.  He'll lay right down for a nap (we turn on his Seahorse @ home but the sitter doesn't have one).  We both give him a paci for naps.  He'll nap for about 2 hours. 

12ish----8 oz bottle

2:00----nap (same routine as above)  He'll sleep for about 1 1/2 hours this time. 

3:30----8 oz bottle

5:00----Dinner (He'll either have organic veggie baby food or will eat something that we're having, depending on what it is)

7:00ish----Bath, lotion, 6oz bottle, and 2 stories.  He'll lay right down with very little fussing.  We turn on his seahorse and a giraffe that plays heartbeat sounds.  He STTN until I wake him up at 6:45am to start the routine all over again! 

• Phoebe gets up between 7:30 and 8 each morning.  She is BF then and has her diaper changed then she plays for awhile. 

Between 9:30 and 10 she goes down for her first nap.  If I put her in the swing she will nap for up to 3 hours.  If I rock her and put her in her crib she will only sleep for 45 mins.  I will BF her before she goes down either way though.  Most days I will put her in the swing because otherwise she is very cranky all day long.

After she gets up I will dress her and change her and feed her.  She will usually play for awhile.  

She goes back down for her second nap at 2.  This is a PITA because I have to pick Rowen up from school at 2 so she is usually put down late and is very cranky.  A lot of the time she will fall asleep in her carseat on the way home.  This nap is only 45 mins on a good day.  But she wakes up in an excellent mood.

She will usually nurse and get her diaper changed after her nap.  She likes to cluster feed in the evenings and refuses to take a 3rd nap.  So basically she is up from around 3 until she goes to bed.  She was getting very fussy and acting like she was starving to death.  I was pretty much feeding her constantly and she was still cranky and wanting to eat.  I started giving her a little bit of cereal this week in the evenings and things are so much better.  

Around 5 she gets cereal then a bath pretty much every night because she loves them and they help her calm down.  I sit in her room and rock her and nurse her to sleep with her Jewel Lullaby CD every night.  The minute she hears it she knows its bedtime and starts rubbing her eyes.  Its very cute.  

Nighttime is a PITA.  She is up all the time.  Last night she got up 6 times.  She knows how to put herself back to sleep she just wants us to come in there first.  It doesn't matter if I let her fuss or even wait for her to cry its the same every single night.  I will pick her up and she will relax.  I usually nurse her but not always.  As long as I pick her up for a minute she will lay back down and put herself to sleep.  Its like she just wants reassurance that we are still there.  But I have to pick her up, I can't calm her down until I do.  I have even tried to let her CIO, she will scream until I get her. I waited an  hour and I will NEVER do that again.  I'm starting to think I will never sleep again.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's so interesting how it seems like everyone deals with the same issues, yet I always feel like my LO is the only one who gets fussy! Thanks for sharing all your routines...its definitely reassuring!
  • Great idea, Blayne!  I'll share, but we're still a bit of a disaster.

7:00-7:15 Wake & BF.

8:15-8:30ish I start nap time.  I take her to her room, turn on her lullaby CD, read a story, & put her in her crib (awake).  She will usually talk to herself & sometimes fuss a little for about 5 minutes.  If she starts actually crying, I go in & give her back her paci.  She usually naps for about 30-45 minutes (prior to the 4 month wakeful, she would nap 1.5-2.5 hours twice a day, but now her naps are short).

The rest of the day follows more of a pattern, rather than a schedule. She will usually be ready for another nap after being awake for 2-2.5 hours. 

She takes a final cat nap around 5:30-6.

She BFs (or takes a 4.5oz bottle) every 2.5-3 hours throughout the day.

At 6:45 we start her bedtime routine with a bath.  After bath, we take her to her room & leave the lights dim while we put on lotion & pjs.  I BF, read a story, & put her in her crib (awake).  Some nights she goes right to sleep, sometimes it takes 15 minutes of fussing/talking/replacing the paci.  She is asleep by 7:30. 

• Between 7-8am A wakes up.  DH will take her downstairs, change her, I will come down and BF her, followed by a bottle.  This can take us an hour since she is such a slow eater.  Sometimes she will have a nap right away, sometimes we have to drive DH to work (he does 2 weeks days, 2 weeks afternoons and we have one car).  If we take DH to work, she will have a small nap in the car seat.  She is normally hungry around 11, so she will have a bottle, and have another nap.  Sometimes her naps are 30 minutes, sometimes 2 hours.  She generally gets hungry around 3:30 4, so I will BF and bottle again, she will normally have another nap around 4:30-5.  If DH is on days, we get him around 5:30-6.  She generally is hungry when he gets home around 6 again, so she is BF and bottle fed again.  Bed time we try and do the bath around 8 every other night, bedtime is 9:30.

A & T Since 2009 Parents of A born July 2010
  • imageJennifer43:
    It's so interesting how it seems like everyone deals with the same issues, yet I always feel like my LO is the only one who gets fussy! Thanks for sharing all your routines...its definitely reassuring!
    Agreed! I'm now starting to think I try for the second nap too early.
  • This is fascinating to read! 
    Katy and Brett ~ Runaway Bay, Jamaica ~ October 4, 2008

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imagekaters1279:
    This is fascinating to read! 

agreed!  i'm bookmarking this post! :)  Thanks for sharing girls!

• Might as well share. Ever since Italy, my girly can't seem to stay awake during the day then can't stay asleep at night.

Wakes 9:00 on the dot, like an alarm clock. BF one side

Ready for nap 1 at 10:00, sometimes try to push it to 10:30. sleeps 45 min. Will nurse her down if I'm feeling full but don't always need to.

throughout the day she'll only be awake for 1.5 hours at a time before wanting to nap. She never sleeps longer than 45 minutes though. It's like a newborn. If I try to keep her up longer she'll just be super cranky & she won't sleep longer to compensate.

We do bath, lotion/jammies & nursing around 7:00 and she'll pass out. She used to sleep a 4-5 hour chunk but since Italy she's been waking every 45 minutes until I go to bed. She's still in our room but we're planning a crib transition in the next few weeks. I'm nervous. Hopefully it will be harder on me than her and hopefully we can get some blocks of sleep.

Night nursing is usually 7 (both sides), 8 (both sides), 11 (one side), 3(one side), 6:45(one side), 9(one side).  

I think her night time bath might wake her up instead of relax her because she loves to play & splash. Might move it to earlier & figure out a different nighttime routine... 

Siggy Deleted Due to Internet Stalking. Mama to Q, born July 2010
  • 7am - Wake, nurse both sides laying in my bed.  This is generally the one time I can get her to eat without being distracted.  Longest BF session by far.

8am - solid breakfast. 

8:30 - nap usually about 1.5-2 hours.

10 - BF and playtime and bathtime.

1pm - solid lunch.  Her afternoon nap ranges between 1 and  3.  Sometimes she is super tired and goes down at 1 and sometimes she is wide awake and doesn't want to nap until 3.  She naps for 1-2 hours.  She BF after nap.

3ish - solid snack, generally after her afternoon nap. 

6pm - solid dinner.

7pm - jammies, goodnight moon and BF - though usually it is only for 5 minutes or less.  I lay her down awake and sometimes she fusses, sometimes she chats to herself but she goes right to sleep within 15 minutes.

Sometimes she wakes in the night between 12 and 2, it is inconsistent.  Sometimes when Timm is getting ready for work she wakes up but she puts herself back to sleep usually.

• Yes, this is a really helpful post! I'm learning Nia definitely doesn't sleep long enough after reading this. She likes to be up to see everything! Here's our "schedule":

6a.m. -  Nia will usually wake when DH gets up for work; she smiles and coos and I feed her then she goes back to sleep by 7a.m.

10/11a.m. - up for the day

11-1p.m. playtime and nursing on demand; I wear her in the Moby to get stuff done

1p.m. - starts getting tired but resists napping

2p.m. - naps for about 30 min.

2:30-5p.m. - again playtime, nursing on demand

5p.m. -6:30 - longest nap, but I try to keep her up so bedtime can be earlier however she resists

6:30p.m. - 8p.m. up for when DH comes home; more nursing on demand and playing with DH

8p.m. - bath (2x/wk)/bedtime followed by nursing and story

10-11p.m. - finally falls asleep; we often put her down awake and she cries for less than 5 minutes before conking out; if she cries longer i go in and nurse her (patting on the back does nothing)

Overnight she stirs close to 4a.m. to eat and I bring her into bed with me and she eats off and on until 6a.m.

Also, we just started the crib yesterday for naps to get her used to it, but she's still in the co-sleeper overnight. She napped at 6:30p.m. yesterday by putting herself right to sleep. It was so cute to see her lay her head down and go right to sleep!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"