Dallas-Fort Worth Babies
Options

The Great Friend/Church Search of 2011

Hubby and I are new to Texas. We know 2 other couples but they're both twice our age and in a different season of their lives. 

We are hoping to meet some new friends through his new job but until then we are going to try and put ourselves out there. 

We are convinced the best way to make new friends will be through church. We're hoping to find a local church in the Frisco/McKinney area that has a young congregation with young families.  Someone told us, "This is the tail end of the bible belt-throw a rock hit a church." This is true, however, with so many churches it is overhwelming trying to attend so many different ones to gauge the ages of the people. We went to a great, young church but were offended by a comment the pastor and his wife made disparaging another religion so we were disappointed to start our search anew.

Does anyone have a suggestion for me? I'd appreciate any and all thoughts! 

imageimage

Re: The Great Friend/Church Search of 2011

• Options

You're right, there are a lot of churches in the area and it's hard to find the right fit for your family.  We are still searching for the right church home for us. Which religion do you practice?  We know of a great church in North Frisco.  We stopped attending though because we moved further into Plano and the drive each week was becoming too long.  Also they are going through a huge growth right now and construction became a major nuisance.  We're currently looking at a church in McKinney.  It's a smaller congregation, mostly made up of young families.  My best friend and her family go there.  My only suggestion is to hop online to look for churches.  You won't know if it's a good fit until you visit.

Another great way to meet new people is www.meetup.com.  I have met and made some lifelong friendships in the playgroup I joined.  There are groups of all kinds on there.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageBoizmom:

You're right, there are a lot of churches in the area and it's hard to find the right fit for your family.  We are still searching for the right church home for us. Which religion do you practice?  We know of a great church in North Frisco.  We stopped attending though because we moved further into Plano and the drive each week was becoming too long.  Also they are going through a huge growth right now and construction became a major nuisance.  We're currently looking at a church in McKinney.  It's a smaller congregation, mostly made up of young families.  My best friend and her family go there.  My only suggestion is to hop online to look for churches.  You won't know if it's a good fit until you visit.

Another great way to meet new people is www.meetup.com.  I have met and made some lifelong friendships in the playgroup I joined.  There are groups of all kinds on there.

We are non-denominational Christians. We wouldn't mind a denominational church if it felt like home. :) 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't have any advice on churches but did want to say welcome to the DFW Bump board. I second meetup.com. There are lots of groups for moms in the McKinney area. 
  • Options

We go to Gateway Church (we go to Southlake, but they have a campus in Frisco) and we absolutely adore it. Very bible-driven Christian nondenominational church.

And one of the things we've loved most about it is the great friends we've made from our small group. They strongly encourage joining a Gateway Group (because it's such a big church!) and I know there are quite a few groups out in the Frisco area. They organize the groups by life stage so you can join as a young family and meet others in your same lifestage. We made friends in our young marrieds group, now we all are having kids, it's been great. 

Website is www.gatewaypeople.com.

Good luck! I know it can be tough to search out a church that lines out with both what you believe and a vibe you're comfortable with.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Gateway is a great church and since they have a location in Frisco, it might be worth trying out! We go to a church in Grapevine, so a bit more of a drive for you.  Another one you could look at is Watermark or Northwest Bible Church - both are closer in to Dallas (NW Bible is IN Dallas), but they're very good non-denominational churches.

Best of luck!  I'm sure you'll find something you like!  Just give it time.  It took us a full year to finally join our church - we wanted to be sure it was the right place for us. 

• Options
    We go to Hope Fellowship in Frisco.  You can google it and check out their website.  We love it.  I went to Gateway in Southlake before we moved to Frisco, and really liked it as well.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

we go to Lebanon Baptist is Frisco. Its a small church & has a mix of older & yonger families.  While I was raised southern baptist I don't share the radical beliefs as a lot of southern baptists.  Our preacher is the exact same way.  he's very knowledgable & teaches the bible, & doesn't preach at you!  So we really like that! 

Welcome to the area!  I am mostly on the 12-24 board, feel free to PM me if you have any questions or anything!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"