Minnesota Babies

who else has Fairview Southdale "horror" stories?

I saw in a post below that some people had some horror stories about delivering at Fairview S. Dale. I'd be curious to hear them!
I am pg with my second baby (13 weeks) and delivered my first at Fairview S Dale. I had sort of a bad experience (with being admitted and getting checked into a room; once that part was over, the rest of my stay after that was great and the nurses were awesome..) but I am planning on delivering there again. Am I crazy? Here's what happened:

My water broke around 8 pm and so my dh and I headed to the hospital around 10:30 after the contrax started to get worse. We were admitted to triage and the fluid in my cervix was checked, to make sure it was amniotic fluid, to ensure that my water had, in fact, broken. The fluid was sent to the lab and we waited for over an hour for the results, which we, and the nurse we were working with, thouht seemed to be a really long time. Finally the results were in and the nurse said that no, the fluid was NOT my water and that it must just have been discharge. I was like "hmmm, that must have been a lot of discharge !" (sorry, TMI) But since it was my first time delivering I was like "ok, you are the experts" and we got sent home. My DH and I were laughing at ourselves on the way home, saying how dumb we felt and we were calling ourselves amateurs. Well... we got home and the contrax started to get much much worse. By 2:30 I was screaming, "damn nurses, damn lab, that HAD to be my water." My DH was like "are you sure?" Oh yes, was I sure. I had never felt such pain in my life.
Soooo, we drove back to Fairview Southdale, they examined me and said, "oh, sorry, you were right. It must have been your water. The lab must have gotten mixed up." WTH!?? And then they did do another lab test and my water had broken earlier, they said. I was so mad but was in so much pain that I didn't say much. Then, they tell me I am dilated only 2 cm so I need to walk the halls with (my DH holding me up by this point) to get my cervix to dilate more in order to admit me. I had to be at least a 3 she said, until I could get a room. I walked the halls whilst stopping in the restroom to have vomiting and diaherra every few steps (very pleaseant!!) until 5 am and at that point I still was not at a 3 but the nurse "made an exception" and admitted me anyway. It was awful, awful, awful.
But like I said, once I got a room, got my epi, and relaxed, it was a good experience.
But, isn't that crazy??? Am I nuts to go there again? I assume my labor will go faster this time since it's my second baby, so hopefully this can't happen again!??
Sorry to scare anyone who is delivering there!!!

Kathleen
edd 5/29/08
and my sweet boy, William Patrick 3/23/06

Re: who else has Fairview Southdale "horror" stories?

• I don't have any FV horror stories but I never had the highest impression of them.  I do know people that have delivered there and they had good experiences.

I just wanted to say that I was sent home when I was really in labor and having painful contractions.  I came back to the hospital determined to be admitted.  I was asked to walk the floors for an hour, which I did, and I think they admitted me out of pity.  I was ready for drugs but they were trying to follow my "birth plan" so I tried the whirlpool bath first. I still was no progressing, so the doctor asked to break my waters.  I got my drugs, broke the water, was on pitocin, and it was still really slow...I ended up in labor for 24 hours, pushed for three hours, and still ended up with a c-section. The point of my story is that they really do try not to admit until you are well into labor and need to be there, so that may not be a "horror" even if it feels like it (I know it is horrible!).  As for them mixing up the labs, I would be concerned about it, but I don't know if it would prevent me from going back.  Truly, that can happen anywhere.

I guess if I were you, I would really reflect on your first experience there and how you felt at the time and how you feel now looking back.  If you think it is something you would regret, I would start to look elsewhere.  Since you are even questioning it, it might be a good time to at least start researching other options.  Does your OB deliver anywhere else?  Or would it mean completely changing clinics?  These are things you have to think about and discuss with your DH.

Bellastella227
    My prince and princess...
    <a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bellastella227/?action=view
  • I'm curious about this too- I plan on delivering there and was surprised at the negative stories I have read on the nest. I've only known one person who delivered there and she had a great experience (although a harrowing delivery). Any other comments?
  • Loading the player...
  • i'd like to hear more about this too since i go to southdale ob and was planning on delivering at fairview southdale...
  • I think you will find a "horror" story at any hospital.

Otherwise not much help, I delivered at Ridges and LOVED it!

• I just wanted to add an update that I went to the FV Southdale Open House last night and confirmed that (1) they only have private rooms and (2) you will not be turned away if you show up in labor. If you call your doctor thinking you might be in labor, you might be sent to another hospital if they are full, but the nurses couldn't recall when that had actually happened. I thought everything was fine at the tour. I guess some might think it is a little shabby looking because they are in the process of a major renovation that won't be done until mid April.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"