Health & Exercise

Pregnancy and Celiac Disease?

I have Celiac Disease and wondering if any of you ladies have past experience on making sure you get enough nutrients (especially carbs and B vitamins)...did anyone see a nutritionist? If so, do you recommend it? Also, what were you able to eat when you had morning sickness since many foods that settle the stomach (i.e. Saltine crackers) contain gluten? Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Photobucket BabyFetus Ticker Baby Slings at Nurtured Family

Re: Pregnancy and Celiac Disease?

• I don't have Celiac but taking a prenatal vitamin will have with the B vitamins.  Can't help you with the saltines.  Congrats on the pg!
  • I don't have Celiac, but my son has been wheat/gluten free (and dairy, soy, peanut, tree nut free too) for the past year so I feel like I've got a pretty good grasp on gluten free foods at this point.

Have you had success finding crackers and things at your grocery store that are actually marked gluten free? I have found that we are able to find most everything in gluten-free form - it just costs an arm and a leg. The Glutino products are awesome (although, you probably already know that) and they have some salty, bland crackers that resemble saltines.

For carbs - can you try a brown rice pasta? What about polenta (does that have many carbs- I can't remember...)?

Are you taking a pre-natal vitamin? That should help as well.

• Loading the player...
  • Melinda,

I have a wheat intolerance and am dairy free.  I found that sierra mist and corn chips seemed to help with the upset stomachs.  I did meet with a nutritionalist but only because I ended up in the hospital when I was 5 weeks pregnant.  She recommended eating more protein and taking my pre-natals, plus calcium. 

If you can't find the gluten free items at your local store Amazon is a great place to order.  Cheaper priced too. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"