Minnesota Babies
Options

Abbott Northwestern Hospital

Has anyone given birth here or are you planning on to?  What was your experience like or what have you heard? 

Re: Abbott Northwestern Hospital

• Options

I was just there over the weekend..my sister in law gave birth there...

Compared to my hospital it was trashy, dirty and out dated.

There were a few nice nurses there, but one was a complete BIAACH!!  I would never ever give birth there..that's my opinion, I would like a quieter hospital.

Oh, and some of the rooms that you stay in over night after birthing room - is by the helipad for the helicopter..

Pick a different hospital!

• Options
    For real!  Did you give birth in a Twin Cities hospital?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My birth will be in Fairview Lakes In Wyoming..the rooms have been remodeled. They have lamant hardwood floors, flat screen tv's, dvd players, places to plug in video games, couchs in bigger rooms, and just a more inviting place to relax. The bathrooms are new. Unlike the pink tile floor that I felt I shouldnt' even take my shoes off.  I just feel more like home in my hospital than that one. It's confusing to visit. You have to pay for parking, and it's not in the nicest part of town. It's loud at night. I am out in the middle of no where and it's quiet and peaceful and very homy. I just thought I'd let you know what I thought when I was visiting there at Abbott
  • Options
    First of all, what are your alternatives?

I have only heard good things about Abbott Northwestern.  I would have liked to deliver there if I lived closer and my OB worked with them.  Instead, I had to go to North Memorial which was near the bottom of my list beforehand.  I was extremely pleased with my experience at N Memorial and recommend them to everyone now as well.
    Bellastella227
    My prince and princess...
    <a href="http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/bellastella227/?action=view
  • Options

I am not saying that they are bad at their services, but I did not feel at home in the hospital birthing rooms. Felt outdated I compared it to going house shopping.  I felt like I was in a foreclosure home that had alot of work to be done to the inside. 1970s decor, wall papers, tiles, etc. Although, I have not been to many of the other hospitals in the area, I have been to mine and one in Burnsville and they are like brand new homes compared to Abbott.  I prefer feeling at home in a semi-new facility or at least looking like it's being up kept and a semi - quieter neighboorhood.  I have volunteered at North Memorial and that place is actually quieter than Abbott.  The maternity areas at North are okay and they recently remodeled areas and added on. But there is the parking thing again there. It's ramp parking and you have to pay for it. There are lots of factors that you have to decide when choosing a hospital. Where are you located?  That would help in finding a place for you to start looking. You can do hospital tours as well. You also need to determine what your insurance company will allow.

• Options

My insurance covers many of the Twin Cities hospitals, but my midwife delivers at Abbott (and I think one other hospital, but I have to confirm that with her).  I live the closest to Abbott, therefore, it seems like the easiest choice.  However, I do plan on doing hospital tours around the area to get a better idea of what each has to offer.  I'm interested in hearing any reccomendations for Twin Cities hospitals.  Also, homebirth experiences (which I'm also considering).   

• Options
    I had a great experience at Abbott.  I delivered there in January, and loved it.  The neighborhood isn't the best, and the rooms aren't state-of-the-art, but I loved the nurses, and I loved that Children's Hospital was so close.  (We didn't need Children's, but it was nice to know it was there just in case.)  Several of my friends have also had good experiences there.  Every nurse is a lactation consultant, so if you plan to breastfeed, you'll get a lot of good help there.
  • Options
    I was transferred there because my water broke and I went into labor at 33w,5d. I had a good experience there. I think it's pretty funny that they have a McDonalds there. There is something very strange about standing in line at McD's next to someone in a hospital robe!
  • Options

WOW!!! I am shocked by a few of the comments about Abbott

As a RN myself... It is NOT outdated...in fact, they have a more up to date system then most of the other hospitals in the TCs. FYI- the best part about delivering at Abbott is that Children's Hospital is next door (Where I WORK) and we have the best NICU in the state (Im not saying that b/c I work there, I am basing it on facts)

The downfall to Abbott... the neighborhood is sketchy! Dont go to your car alone AT ANY HOUR

• Options
    also FYI- the fairview hospital systems have the highest number of hospital violations and death related incidences in the state just check www.health.state.mn.us/
  • Options

imageSNL0605:
    also FYI- the fairview hospital systems have the highest number of hospital violations and death related incidences in the state just check www.health.state.mn.us/

Because I'm website illiterate... can you point me in the direction of the "hospital violations and death-related incidences" at Fairview? I went to the site, but don't know where to click.

My OB only delivers there and now I'm freaked.

Thanks.

• Options
    I would probably make my decisions about where to deliver based on the care vs. the decor!  Abbott is one of the best in the cities and Children's is right there.  Abbott has a special care nursery that's part of Children's NICU and the actual NICU is attached by a tunnel.  They have a level III NICU.  Consider your child and healthcare, not just your need for laminate flooring and modern decor. 
  • Options
    I'm delivering at Abbott- hopefully any day now.  We actually switched insurance companies so that Abbott was the preferred hospital in network when we decided to start trying.  I wouldn't consider another hospital in the Twin Cities, care is so much more important than decor.  So far we've had 5 trips there with various issues and the nursing staff has been terrific every single time.  They do tend to be quick to monitor, but they have a lot of high risk patients so that is kind of the norm for them.  I'd rather be safe than pampered when it comes to delivering my kids.  They are opening a new Women's wing at some point, not sure how soon- then everyone can be happy I guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"