D.C. Area Babies

My 7.5 month old won't eat purees! Feedback....

DD#2 loves rice cereal but is not yet a fan of purees.  We have been doing rice cereal since 5.5 months and purees since 6 months.  In that month and a half, we have tried (in this order - I am a fan of vegetables first) peas, carrots, green beans, sweet potatos, squash, prunes, apples, pears, peaches and bananas.  She really doesn't care for any of them, not even the sweet fruits.  Has this happened to anyone else?  She will generally eat more at daycare than she does at home (peer pressure I guess), and does better with vegetables than fruits.  What is the deal?  We haven't started any finger foods or more solid foods yet either, so she is eating a lot of cereal, and is getting constipated.  We are probably going to switch to oatmeal to see if that helps.  Does this help?  Does anyone know? 

Re: My 7.5 month old won't eat purees! Feedback....

• Until they are one, babies should get the majority of their nutrition from breastmilk or formula.  Food is "just for fun" - helps them develop, teaches them to swallow non-liquids, etc.  So don't worry that she's not eating enough.  With that said, some babies just don't like purees and do much better with finger foods.  You could try giving her really soft carrots cut like french fries and see if she likes that better. Do you mix the veggies/fruits with the cereal?  Since she seems to eat better at daycare, I would send fruits/veggies to daycare and save the cereal for home.  Rice cereal doesn't have much nutritional value - it's just easily digestable which is why it's often the first food.  You can switch to oatmeal (which you can make yourself, btw) which has much more nutrition.  Check out Dr. Greene's website (https://www.drgreene.com/whiteout?tid=157) and Wholesome Baby Food for info on making oatmeal (https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm).

• I agree, switch to oatmeal and once she does OK with that, add some fruits/veggies to the cereal

ETA: add water to her diet to help w/ constipation, if she doesn't take it, use water instead of BM for cereal

• Loading the player...
  • In our case, my LO loves "real" food: toast, pasta, banana etc. She never really took to purees-- at least not the commercial baby food kind. When I started making it myself, it was more chunky and she liked it better. GL! Feeding is stressful but the more I back off, the better she does!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What about yogurt? DD was not a huge fan of any of the fruits but did like yogurt.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are these store bought or are you making them yourself?  I ask because the store bought ones generally have ZERO texture.  Try regular, no sugar added applesauce, or bake a sweet potato or buttersquash and mash up yourself, with a little milk (whatever she drinks).  It might be a texture thing.  We never gave LO baby food.  Just cooked and mashed up veggies.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"