Multiples

Crap! We have been doing it all wrong?!?

I realize I will probably sound pretty stupid and a big part of me knew it probably wasn't great, but I never realized how wrong it may be.
I was reading coffee bean's post about bed time routines, and are guys ALWAYS fall asleep during their bottle and we put them to bed already asleep.
Our night routine is bath, bottle, bed, but as I said they are put down asleep.  I have yet to read any sleep training books so I hadn't realized that this was something that we really should not be doing, but it sure does explain some other issues that I seem to have created.  In the last month E will not nap unless he is fed to sleep either.  I think the "they need sleep so get them to nap anyway you can" was my predominant mode of thinking so I figured it was okay just as long as he was getting the sleep that he needed.
My boys will only nap in their swings, but I have to give E a bottle for a few minutes when I first put him in his swing.  S is now wanting the same thing.  This is the thing that I knew was not good, but I did it anyway.  They don't keep the paci's in their mouths and it was the only way I could get them down so I did it.
The other thing is, my boys fall asleep during nearly EVERY bottle regardless of the time. We feed after waking so it is not that they need a nap and they still fall asleep (I guess this is explained by the habit of feeding to sleep that we have created).
I guess what confuses me is most of what you read and most opinions say that they are too young to CIO, so if you are not supposed to let them CIO but they cry when you put them down, what am I supposed to do?
Sorry if the answer is obvious, but I think I have already goofed pretty big on this one.

Re: Crap! We have been doing it all wrong?!?

• My doctor said at 4 months they are old enough to CIO.  Avery falls alseep fine by herself but we did need to do CIO with Nick.  He cried for 3 nights for maybe 5 - 10 minutes and now he falls alseep by himself.  I think the key is not to put them down asleep or wide awake, but drowsy.  We will rock Nick for 2-3 minutes until he is drowsy and then set him in his crib. 

• Sorry whats CIO
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We did a modified cio at that age. Put them down awake, kisses and hugs - out the door. They cry - go right back in, pick up, kiss/hug, immediately put back down and exit. repeat repeat repeat. You'll do it a hundred or more times the first night, half that the second night, a handful the third and they'll be fine after that. Even if you're only talking about 4 or 6 hour jabs at sleep it's worth it! It teaches them that yes, you're leaving - but you will come back.
  • Hi

I remember, at 4 months, my two would always take a quick catnap right after eating...like they had just worked so dern hard they had to rest for 10 minutes to digest (so cute).  We started a modified cio around 4.5/5 months for naps and bedtime.  It was super crappy and my dd was not ready.  So I continued to rock her to sleep.  At 5.5 months....voila!  She was ready and able to self soothe.  They started sttn 7-6/7 at 6 months.  Now, at 9 months, they have  a bottle at 6:30, dh and I rock them and say love yous and put them down by 7.  Some nights they are asleep at 7:01 (heaven) some nights closer to 7:45 (bummer).
    HTH and good luck!
    Trina

Trina

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"