Multiples

Testing Options?

Hey Ladies,
I just returned from my 11 wk appointment and everything looked great. We heart h/b's and no problems to be seen.

I had a bunch of questions to ask my ob and one of them was about testing. He said many of the testing you can perform with a singleton can vary in outcome with twins. For example an NT scan, he said one number could be really high and the other could be really low, but both numbers combined is normal for two babies. He said I can obviously do any testing I prefer, but voiced his concern over not finding any concrete answers. He said given how much we've gone through to get pregnant, if the outcome of the testing won't change anything most people don't proceed with the risk.

What did/are you ladies doing? I trust my ob completely and his accolades speak for themselves. I just wonder what your experiences have been.

TIA!

Re: Testing Options?

• I had all the same tests as a singleton pregnancy.  I wasn't given an option - although if I had asked to opt out, I probably could have.  Anyway, all my results came back normal.
  • I am interested in this question, too, since my ob said pretty much the same thing regarding the unreliability of many tests when it comes to multiples.
  • Loading the player...
  • I went in for my NT scan and they were able to measure the NT space for each baby.  They said the blood test will be off because its twins. 
  • We opted out of all testing bc we knew that the outcome of the tests wouldn't change anything for us.

Kerri

• The outcome of the tests wouldn't have changed anything for me.  So I only opted to have the NT test because there was no risk to the babies.  The NT test is a combination of an ultrasound measurement and a blood test of the mother.  The blood test part can be off for multiples, but the ultrasound measurement works the same for twins and singletons.  And I'll confess that I also really just wanted any and all opportunities to see my babies on ultrasound. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"