January 2011 Moms
Options

Eating ? Especially at night..

Ok, I should know this, it is my 3rd.  But I just can't for the life of me remember feeling this horrible at night.

What if anything can you eat at night to reduce the heartburn/reflux? I mean at this point it seems like water gives it to me. 

Its quite frustrating.  Not to mention the rest of my family would probably like to eat dinner, and I just literally draw a blank on what sounds good.

Is anyone else feeling so horrible at night? Are you just not eating/drinking? I am having a hard enough time thinking of what to eat for lunch. I just really don't want to deal with food period right now.

Re: Eating ? Especially at night..

• Options
    Heartburn isn't necessarily caused by certain foods, although some foods may make it feel worse.  Its caused by the valve between your stomach and esophagus not closing properly and allowing stomach acid to back up into your esophagus.  There is a nerve that runs along your esophagus that also runs very close to your heart that when irritated by the acid back up causes you to feel "heart burn."  Pregnant women get it because our stomachs get pushed up and out of place and the angle that keeps that valve closed isn't right anymore.  So the only thing you can really do is try to elevate yourself a little while you sleep.  You can also make sure you don't eat for a few hours before you plan to lay down.  Once you drop it should feel a little better.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Options

imageizzourclue:
    Heartburn isn't necessarily caused by certain foods, although some foods may make it feel worse.  Its caused by the valve between your stomach and esophagus not closing properly and allowing stomach acid to back up into your esophagus.  There is a nerve that runs along your esophagus that also runs very close to your heart that when irritated by the acid back up causes you to feel "heart burn."  Pregnant women get it because our stomachs get pushed up and out of place and the angle that keeps that valve closed isn't right anymore.  So the only thing you can really do is try to elevate yourself a little while you sleep.  You can also make sure you don't eat for a few hours before you plan to lay down.  Once you drop it should feel a little better.
    Lies! All Lies!!

Just kidding. Actually, I feel like I've dropped and I was almost in tears yesterday b/c of how bad I feel with the acid reflux/heartburn. Maybe it's even b/c my LO is transverse and while I've dropped some it might not be as much as someone who has a LO that is head down. I try to sleep on 2 pillows, take tums every 4 hours, and I even started having milk before bed and by my nightstand. Some nights it's worse than others. GL...if you find that cure-all remedy, I'm all ears (eyes??).

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have had heartburn/acid reflux my entire pregnancy (diagnosed with acid reflux at age 15 anyway) and I've found a few things that kind of help... I drink a lot of milk!! Like 1 gallon a day, it's the only thing I've found that will alleviate the burning sensation, especially when I'm about to go to bed.

It's probably strange but I found that laying on my right side actually makes the acid reflux worse (I feel like there's constantly food or whatever I ate/drank in the back of my throat, yuck!) but laying on my left side helps a little.

I also religiously take my Pepcid AC (Famotidine 20mg) twice daily, once when I wake up and once when I go to bed, and it helps a lot! Even forgetting one pill will make the heartburn return and it's no fun!

And last but not least, I don't eat after 5-6pm anymore otherwise I'm up all night long feeling like I'm going to burn alive from the inside and vomiting up acid (absolutely horrible!). Even if I'm terribly hungry afterwards I just drink a glass of milk and tell myself I'd rather be sleeping than burning alive!

Hope some of this was a little helpful! Good luck :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"