Adoption

Anyone from Minnesota?

DH and I are just starting to investigate adoption. Any tips or hints (or agencies) you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Anyone from Minnesota?

• Hey girl! Just wanted to say Hi  cuz I'm from MN :-)

We didn't try to adopt from a MN agency but friends of ours did (both couples ended up pg and had to "drop out" of the agency)

I can give you more info if you want on the MN tttc board.
    Married on 3.20.2004. It took 30 month, 2 failed adoptions and IVF for our first miracle. We have had 9 foster kids since he was born and started the domestic adoption process when he was 10 month old, we had 4 failed matches in that time. After our daughter was born we brought her home and spent 2 weeks fearing we might lose her because of complications that came up. But Praise God all went through and she is ours forever! Expecting again after IVF Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image
  • We are!  We looked at around five agencies before we picked one (that we love)! You can e-mail me at mmp45@hotmail.com and I'd be happy to share any goodies I have.  We live in the metro area; if that helps at all and are in "the book" now.  Let me know!

mabella

• Loading the player...
  • Why did that get underlined? Pain in the butt
  • For the adoption of my older son, we used CHSFS in St. Paul. I don't know about the other programs, but the women in their Korea program were AMAZING and I absolutely adored working with them. They have a number of programs (including domestic) and are well regarded--I'd definately start with their web site (www.chsfs.org).
  • I am! I was born and raised in the twin cities and now live in ND.  DH and I are looking at 1 agency in particular in MN. email me at erin62406 at yahoo dot com if you want to chat! :)
  • Hi!  I?m not from MN, but I wanted to say hello and welcome you to the board.

The first thing you?ll want to figure out is what kind of adoption is right for your family. Books such as "Adoption for Dummies" or "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Adoption" will get started, give you lots of basic information on adoption and the process, and help you narrow down your answer to that question. Another good book is "The Complete Adoption Book."

Then, if you wish to adopt domestically, I recommend finding an agency near you that you feel comfortable with. There is a great group on yahoo called "Adoption Agency Research - Domestic" that can help you with this.

If you choose international, you need to then pick from which country. The US Department of State's website lists the requirements to adopt from each country (https://snipurl.com/2patx
    ). Once you've made your country choice, you'll need to find an agency that has a program specializing in adoptions from that country. The yahoo group "Adoption Agency Research" is a phenomenal resource for vetting agencies.

Best of luck!

• I'm in MN. I'm not currently and adopter, but I'm an adoptee.

DH and I would like to consider adoption of our third and last child down the road, so I'm sure I'll be on here as both in a few years. :)

Mom to Jace (7/2004), Cade (2/2009) and baby girl (5/2019)

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I recommend CHSFS (Childrens Home Society & Family Services) as well. It is based out of St. Paul.  I used to work there in the China Program! : )  They are very reputable and have good relationships with the countries they work with as they have been around for a very long time and are a large agency. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"