Adoption
Options

Adoptionand the economy

My H and I are both worried as well.  We're able to afford it, so long as we both have jobs throughout the process, but there's no telling if that will be the case.  But even if the economy were better, you can never bank on employment being permanent, so we're just diving in and hoping for the best.  (with a bit of a nest egg already stashed)

Re: Adoptionand the economy

• Options

For those interested in domestic adoption, the current economy may be a double-edged sword.

When I spoke at a session sponsored by my agency early this summer, a birth-mother case worker told me she had been very busy, as the number of B moms placing children for adoption was rising.

Sadly, the ability to financially support a child was figuring prominantly in their decision not to parent their children. So the number of children available for domestic adoption could be on the upswing.

• Options
    Anyone that knows me on the Adoption board knows I have to throw this out whenever I can. If you are new/at the beginning of the process, I also urge you to look into foster/adoption. It does have its pros and cons (as any adoption does), but it does not take any financial burden at all.  As a matter of fact, most states pay adoptive parents as they are in the foster process to take care of any child in the home, and in some cases, that support continues until the child is 18 - even after the adoption process is over. So - while it isnt for everyone, it is a great option, and you can save the $30k or so for a private adoption and start a college fund for DC.

Just something to think about!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"