D.C. Area Babies

Did measuring ahead = early baby? big baby? neither?

I've been measuring about 5 days ahead my whole pregnancy on ultrasounds and now my belly is measuring about a week ahead or so (fundal). They haven't moved up my due date or anything but I'm just curious what you all have experienced...

If you measured ahead, did you have a big baby? an early baby? neither?!

I'm a little scared he's going to be big! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Did measuring ahead = early baby? big baby? neither?

• I've pretty much measured on time for both babies, DD came 1 week early, and this one seems it will make an early appearance too.  DD was 7lbs btw, we'll see how big this baby will be.
  • It meant . . . nothing. C measured ahead or at least big the whole time and was born the day after his due date weighing 7 lbs, 3oz (not the 8-9 lbs they predicted).  Seriously, don't worry about it.
    The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • C wasn't ahead, but she was big supposedly.  BUT instead she came 11 days late at 7 lbs 6oz. 
  • I measured on time the whole pregnancy until the end when my u/s started dating me a week behind (they never changed my due date though). It meant, like pp said, nothing. Late u/s are notoriously unreliable... though I have to say at my last OB appt the tech estimated her weight at 7.2 and damn if she wasn't exactly that at delivery a week later! I was induced though, at 40+1.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I measured almost a month ahead for DD (we knew her EDD was accurate based on IF treatment) and closer to two weeks at the end.  I had hoped that would mean she'd at least be on time.  :-/  I was induced 10 days past her EDD and she was 8lbs 15oz.  That's on the larger side but it was expected considering how late she was born.

I am measuring 1 week ahead this time.  

imageimage

TTC #1 Cycle 14 - IUI#1=BFN, IUI#2=BFP | TTC #2 Cycle 8=BFP!! imageimage

• Nothing for me.  I measured ahead for both and big for both and they were 6 and 7.5 lbs respectively.
  • it means nothing

I had an U/S a day past my due date and the Dr was asking if big babies run in my family, he was saying DD was going to be 8-9lbs, I kept saying she'll be b/w 7 and  7 1/2 lbs and I was the correct one, she was 7lbs 4oz

don't worry about it!

• Meant nothing for me either...I measured 5 - 7 days ahead the whole time. DS arrived 5 days early and weight 6 lbs even. Honestly, at my last OB appt they said, oh, he'll be 7 - 8 pounds (no u/s or anything, just measuring or whatever) and he was so tiny (compared to what I was expecting)!
    Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I've had the opposite experience - with both of my first two, especially my first, I measured behind on fundal heights. With DD1 I measured behind 2-4 weeks from 30w on (I only measured 36w when I went in to deliver her at 40w2d). I was also followed by a perinatologist due to concern for IUGR, but she was born healthy though a little small at 6lb, 7oz. With DD2 it wasn't so dramatic - I measured 1-2w behind starting in the last month and a half or so. She was also born at 40w2d (I measured about 38w) and was 7lb, 5oz.

I think different people just carry differently and it doesn't necessarily indicate the baby's size at all.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm the opposite end of the spectrum, but I thought I'd add my opinion that it means nothing. :)

Despite looking small, I measured exactly on time with DD.  My OBs were always surprised when it turned out that way--seriously, I have a friend due in Jan that was bigger than me when I was 40 weeks PG.  Despite measuring on time, DD was 6 lbs 7 oz when she was born at 41w1d.

• I was the opposite too. I was measuring behind and then when I went into labor a few days before 37 weeks, the doctors had me prepared for a baby that would be small and would need NICU time. She was 7lbs 4oz and perfectly healthy.

They really have no idea! Best of luck.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nope, measured a week ahead the entire pregnancy.  granted i did have a big baby but i think that was just because DH and I are tall/above average kind of people.  At 32 weeks, they measured DS to be roughly 5lbs and thats when I freaked.  He gained another 5 lbs in the 8 more weeks he cooked.
    image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Same as some of the pp'ers.  They kept measuring DS large my entire pregnancy and told me they were just sure he would be a 9-10lb baby.  He ended up being born 4 days after his EDD...yeah he was 7.5lbs.  We had no newborn stuff at all, so we had to send out my MIL to buy a few things.  [:-)]
  • whew! thanks for the reassurance!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Okay.  With DS#2 I measured about a week ahead from my 20 week u/s on.  At my 36 week u/s the doctor decided that the baby was big enough that they didn't want me to go past my due date so they were going to induce me two days early if I didn't go on my own.  He came on his own 5 days early and was 8 lbs 10 oz.

With this baby I had my 36 week u/s last Tuesday and the baby was measuring 2 weeks ahead (at 20 weeks we were measuring about 10 days ahead).  When I went in for my 8 week appointment I measured 7 weeks and 5 days so I am pretty sure that the baby is just really big especially since my last one was 8.10.  It doesn't necessarily mean that you are going to have the baby early but your doctor may say they don't want you to go past a certain date because of the size.  I have an appt today which will be my first since the u/s last Tuesday so I don't know what they are going to decide this time.

• I measured two weeks ahead for most of my pregnancy, and DS was 9 lbs 2 oz.  I had a scheduled C, but was in labor the entire night before, at 39w3d.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"