Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

chemical pregnancy

I've done some googling and many sites claim that a chem pregnancy is one in which the fertilized egg never implanted.  Isn't it impossible to get a bfp if implantation never occurred???  I thought hcg is only produced after implantation and it actually takes a few days for levels to build up enough to the point where a hpt can pick it up and give a bfp.

Some other sites seem to say that a chem pregnancy is any that was lost early and never verified by u/s.

Does anyone know?
imageimage

Re: chemical pregnancy

• Your second paragraph is correct.

The fertilized egg never implanting would be a blighted ovum.
    2 girls and a dog
  • Actually, a blighted ovum does implant.  A blighted ovum (also known as ?anembryonic pregnancy?) happens when a fertilized egg attaches itself to the uterine wall, but the embryo does not develop. Cells develop to form the pregnancy sac, but not the embryo itself.
    imageimage

• Loading the player...
  • I stand correct, it implants and attaches, but never develops.

A c/p is a really early loss, before it's possible to verify before u/s.
    2 girls and a dog
  • der, I stand *corrected.* Can't seem to type today.
    2 girls and a dog
  • A CP is when the egg is fertilized and starts to produce HCG....A BO is when the egg is fertilized, sac is formed, but no fetus ever develops. I had this the 2nd time.
  • Your body starts producing HCG as soon as it recognizes that you are pg. My dr. said that does not mean you have to implant. But a CP could also implant but not "implant well enough" to survive [ie luteal phase is too short and your lining is already breaking down by the time implantation should occur.] HTH some.

~Jess & Mike May 12, 2007
    12.6.07 CP at 5w
    5.21.08 BO discovered at 7w, D&E at 8w3d
    8.31.08 CP at 4w5d
    BFP Sept 25, 2008 bfp buddy lkstor Landon born June 6, 2009
    3.25.11 missed m/c discovered at 9w6d, D&E at 10w2d
    4.28.11 MTHFR a1298c homozygous discovered
    4.2011 Began NaProTechnology
    10.12.11 Diagnosed with Type III Luteal Phase Defect
    10.2011 Starting hcg injections on 5, 7 & 9 dpo
    BFP 12.7.11 - EDD 8.14.12 - IT'S A BOY! Fruit Baby
    Life During and After RPL