Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

My D&C experience (really long, but hopefully helpful)

Well, it's really over now.  After knowing this was a non-viable pregnancy for 3 weeks, it's really nice having closure. I don't feel any different (physically or emotionally) than yesterday, but intellectually, I know it's over.

After the ultrasound this morning showed the sac was still there, just much closer to my cervix, I opted for a D&C this afternoon, with a different doctor than my own.  I immediately had to go for bloodwork, then I went home for 2 hours, to wait to return for the procedure which was scheduled at 3pm.  I arrived at 1pm and waited for no more than 15-20 minutes until I was taken to a private room.  A few nurses came in and out to ask me questions, DH was allowed to sit with me.  I was told they were going to take me early, which was nice.  I have NEVER had surgery before, or even an IV, so everything was new to me. Around 2pm, the IV was put in, which didn't hurt at all, and the doctor (who looked like he was about 100 years old) came in to talk to me around 2:30.  I was told that they had just put something in my IV that was going to make me feel like I had 4-5 drinks.  I would have liked some warning.  But, that's ok. I just felt dizzy and was wanting everything to be over soon.  Then I was wheeled out, and down the hall to the operating room (or the procedure room or whatever).  They had me move tables, and then they told me they were going to put something in my IV that would put me out.  THe first thing I made sure to say was that I had just gone to the bathroom, my bladder was empty and that I did NOT want a catheter.  I was really clear on that because my doctor doesn't do them and she assured me this doctor wouldn't (but she was wrong and the plan was to cath me) so I am glad I spoke up for myself.  I did not get a catheter and I am glad, because I have never had a UTI and didn't want to start now.   The last thing I recall saying was thanking everyone for being so kind to me, and that was it.  Lights out for me.

I woke up in recovery, looked at the clock and it was about 3:05.  I can't imagine the whole thing took more than 10 minutes and then I was out for another 20. I felt warm when I woke up, had no pain, no cramping, and no bleeding.  I was shocked at how "fine" I felt.  I felt weighted down a bit, but otherwise, totally fine.  They asked me to rate my pain from 1-10 and I said 0, just like I had answered it when I was first admitted.

I was taken to a private room, DH was allowed in, and at some point, someone came in to give me a Methergen shot in my ass (this is to contract the uterus down to size, and I have to take them in pill form every 4 hours for 2 days).  They offered me all these prescriptions of Motrin and Tylenol 3 but I turned them down. 

It's been about 5 hours since the whole thing, and I still feel fine. No cramps at all, and only light bleeding when I wipe. If it stays like this, it is a breeze. 

I WISH I DID THIS SOONER. I will never opt for natural m/c or Cytotec again god forbid I am in this situation again.  I am not trying to tell anyone what to do, but I can only express how much I wish I had done this when I first had the opportunity (9/15).  Instead I opted to wait it out, had 3 failed Cytotec experiences that resulted in ridiculous cramping and lots of blood clots and gross stuff that I won't get into.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me.  My email is useonfire AT AOL dot com.  I know I was pretty terrified at some point today about having this done, but it really was simple and nothing to worry about.  
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: My D&C experience (really long, but hopefully helpful)

• Thank you for this. I am having my first D&C tomorrow and am sick from the nerves. This helped take some of the edge off.
  • Wow, that was fast.  I'm glad the D&C went well for you.  I've been thinking about you and I'm glad you finally found something that worked.  I hope your experience is a good example for others who have not had any luck with the cytotec to just get a D&C.  I seriously wished I got one considering how long I bled, but at the time I didn't want one.  I hope the rest of your recovery goes well.  ((hugs))
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had on D&C before.  I wasn't aware that I had a catheter.  I don't know if this is a normal occurence. 

I think the D&C is a breeze.  It's the emotional aspect of m/c that sucks. 

Glad your physical ordeal is over.  Good luck on the emotional healing. 

• I am glad it went well.  I felt the same way after my D&C last friday.  It was so "easy" compared to the natural m/c.
    7 mm/c
    APS, hetero factor v leiden & MTHFR
    bfp #1 - 12.11.07, edd 8.14.08, mm/c 1.21.08 (10w4d)
    bfp #2 - 4.4.08, edd 12.3.08, mm/c 5.14.08 (11w)
    bfp #3 - 8.3.08, edd 4.15.09, mm/c 9.17.08 (10w)
    bfp #4 - 1.15.09, edd 9.26.09, mm/c 2.16.09 (8w2d)
    bfp #5 - 6.16.09, edd 2.25.10, mm/c 7.23.09 (9w)
    bfp #6 - 8.12.10, edd 4.27.11, mm/c 9.16.10 (8w1d)
    one more try -> bfp #7 - 2.11, our miracle baby boy arrived 10.11
    ttc again -> bfp #8 - 5.3.13, edd 1.13.14, mm/c 5.30.13 (7w3d)
    bfp #9 - 9.23.13, our miracle baby girl arrived 5.29.14

• I'm so glad that your D&C went well. 
    imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"