Blended Families

Is a C average to much to ask for?

THe rule of the house is for the kids to have at least a C's or better.  If not, kids lose privileges like ipods, video games, and phones.  My step son seems to resent me since I am the main person to inforce this rule and stay on top of grades. He is in 8th grade and has gotten A's in tests at times and then doesn't turn in homework and will show little effort in class (according to his teachers).He is very able and smart.  His work ethic is what holds him back. He (like im sure many 13 yr olds) try to get away with doing as little as possible.  But grades are too important to slack on.  He needs to get ready to go to high school next year.  It is one thing to slack on mowing the lawn or dusting (which he does and I try to enforce that one shoud always to the best they can at whatever their doing), but grades directly affect the future. 

Am I mean step mom for expecting C's or better?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is a C average to much to ask for?

• https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/46662795.aspx

This post and the responses might help you.

No, a C average is not too much to ask for him to earn.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Why are you the one enforcing the rules?  Where is his father?

No, C's are not too much to ask, but you don't need to be the one pushing for it.

• Loading the player...
  • No, and honestly I think if he is fairly smart the expectation is too low.  But, if your DH does not care enough to enforce it then I would start to let him fail and make your DH parent him so that he is not pissed at only you and your DH can step up to the plate.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • If anything, the expectation is too low. But I agree with PP that you shouldn't be the (sole) enforcer.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • THANK YOU!! :)  I have started to let the poor boy fail (it is very hard as I am a teacher myself ) and have made my husband take over. He is not very good at follow through so I am coaching him and having to remind him to keep up on SS since as soon as we turn around he slacks off again.  He is doing  better this year than the last.  I did have to intervene last week since I caught him playing video games when he was grounded. 
  • It's not a house rule if your H is not willing to enforce it-and from your other post, he is not really willing to be an enforcer, and he needs to be. Really he needs to be SS's main enforcer. You should be the wingman/back up, if you will.  You and your H need to sit down and talk this over, and most importantly get on the same page about what the rules, expectations and consequences are in your home, and how they will be enforced.

• imageparis.inthe.spring:

It's not a house rule if your H is not willing to enforce it-and from your other post, he is not really willing to be an enforcer, and he needs to be. Really he needs to be SS's main enforcer. You should be the wingman/back up, if you will.  You and your H need to sit down and talk this over, and most importantly get on the same page about what the rules, expectations and consequences are in your home, and how they will be enforced.

Tell your DH this is not working and you are done playing enforcer.  If there is a way to work it into the conversation about him not following through I would ask DH how he will feel if his son fails 8th grade...or 9th, 10th, 11th or 12th?

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I agree. It has been frustrating and a real argument everytime it comes out. That is exactly how I feel. Why did we both agree to rules and then only me enforcing them.  My husband has been afraid to enforce things (as BM is) because he doesn't want the kid to "hate" him.  I told him he needs to do what is best regardless of whether or not he likes him.   That is what parents are for. My husband has imporved imensely on at least confronting his child and not letting him get away with half the tricks he used to pull but his education still sneaks by us.
  • imagesweetie0228:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/46662795.aspx

• imagesweetie0228:

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/46662795.aspx

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"