Pregnant after 35
Options

41 years old, 3 children almost 17, 19 and 21 year old

Anyone else this age having an unplanned child, and scared to death.  I had a CVS at 10 weeks and everything checks out good.  Had a level2 ultrasound at 18 weeks and that all looked good too. And a blood test that checks for cystic vibrosis and something else a couple of weeks ago and that was all good.  Baby boy is kicking alot, and since my second child was delivered vaginally with major complications due to shoulder dystocia, they delivered my last one by c-section and all the research including my doctor says I must have another c-section.  All of my children were over 10 lbs and the middle one was 10.14lbs.  I am still worried about my age factor and the fact that I didn't smoke years ago when I was having kids and I do now.  I am worrying myself to death.  Anyone else out there who can relate?   Thank you:)

Re: 41 years old, 3 children almost 17, 19 and 21 year old

• Options

Yepper! My kids are 14, 18 and 22. I just told them last week and they were surprisingly fine and happy.  I had the 1st part of the blood work done but decided to get the amnio instead of the 2nd part. I was nervous, but have learned to accept it.  How far along are you?

• Options

Mine are 15 & just turned 17 - we haven't told them yet (I'm just over 12 weeks).

My first dr. appt. is today and will include the NT scan.  When we're a little more confident about a healthy baby, we'll talk to them.

My pregnancy was completely unplanned - not a surprise as we were using an unreliable method of bc, but still not planned.  Scared to death isn't quite how I would categorize my feelings, but I've been through this before (and in much worse circumstances).  My husband on the other hand thinks life is over.  He's in "panic but try not to show it" mode.  This will be his first. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My DS is almost 14yo and I am having my little one on January 3rd - if not sooner.  I did not find out I was expecting until I was 22 weeks along and all of the tests have been good but I will feel so much more at ease when this little guy arrives.  I have T2 diabetes and was not so on top of my diet in the months before I found out I was pregnant.  Add to that a slew of business trips & a cruise where I drank a fair amount of alcohol (not falling down drunk at anytime but 2-4 drinks at a time).  Also the volume of diet soft drinks I consumed, the raw fish I ate in Japan, so forth & so on.

I worry about how I am going to handle everything - DS already had attitude when I told him there were a few things he may have to skip right after I have LO because I am having a scheduled c-section and will not be able to drive.  DH works shift work and gets such small amounts of vacation that he can't just take it off to play chauffer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My son is 14 and baby is 2-1/2 and just found out we're expecting #3. With our first 2 sons over 12 years apart it's been fun but I feel like I have 2 only children. It was scary at first. You forget a lot in 12 years. I was 24 with the 1st one and 36 with the 2nd. I'll be 39 with the 3rd. I had a lot more energy with the 1st one but a lot more money with the 2nd. I have lots of babysitters! All of my friends are having grandbabies and my neices and nephews are all in college so babysitters are way easier to find. Also there weren't any babies in the family for 12 years so lots of aunts, uncles and grandparents to pitch in.

I was concerned with my oldest being jealous of the baby but he's been amazing. They are best buds. The babies first word after mama and dada was "Ja" which is my oldest son, Jack. It's fun to see their bond. Of course my oldest thinks the baby is a chick magnet and loves to walk around the mall with him.

The hardest part has been the scheduling. Our oldest is into sports so sometimes it's difficult getting the baby up at 5 AM for a swim meet or one of us has to stay home with the baby so the other can take the oldest to a football game. We can't scuba dive anymore as a family since we have to leave the baby at home so some of our extra-curricular activities have taken a backseat.

The other difficult part is friendships, oddly. Since our friends have teenagers or grandbabies our circle of friends have changed. Nobody invites us over dinner because they're not sure about the toddler. Then our friends with toddlers are not sure about the teen. So that's been a difficult adjustment. It's hard to find a movie or entertainment that's teen and toddler friendly.

Good luck to you. I was scared to death having a new one 2 years ago and really scared about #3 but as moms we get back into the swing of things pretty quick.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"