North Carolina Babies

Christmas vents?

Anyone have any Christmas vents they need to share?

Here's mine: DH was very excited about his gift for me this year, had been hinting that he'd gotten me something kind of splurge-y and nice, which is a nice idea, but really, our budget is SO tight right now, I'd rather have practical things.  Anyway, he got me a Nook, because I love to read.  I read 5+ books a month, but I haven't bought a book in years, I only use the library.  DH was under the impression you can rent ebooks from the library, but from what I can tell through searching today, they only have like history, how to, etc. books, not fiction. *sigh*.

So now DHs feelings are hurt because I'm not more excited about it, but really, I guess I can buy 1 or 2 books for it and pretend they take me forever to read, but I won't be able to read as many as I'm accustomed to, and now I feel like he will be offended if I sit here and read a library book after DS goes to bed.  Ugh.  There are a million other things I would have rather used that $$ on.  I really enjoy getting books from the library, and reading lots of them, and until our financial situation changes, I am just not going to start buying books just to use this fancy new Nook.

Okay, vent over!  Now share your Christmas vents! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Christmas vents?

• Crescent - talk to Eswan b/c I'm pretty sure she has a Nook & can use Wake Co Public Libraries to rent books online (although it doesn't work with the Kindle). Maybe that will make it a little better for both you & your DH. 

• imageBackthePack:

Crescent - talk to Eswan b/c I'm pretty sure she has a Nook & can use Wake Co Public Libraries to rent books online (although it doesn't work with the Kindle). Maybe that will make it a little better for both you & your DH. 

I think maybe that's what he was thinking of, but we live in Durham.  I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I can't afford to turn my free guiltless habit into a paying one! :(

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Here's some info that says you can get a free card if you are a non-Wake County resident for computer use only (which is pretty much just what you are wanting) or $25 annual fee for a regular card which would be less than the cost of books for it...maybe that would work. Otherwise, I guess good luck returning it :(

https://www.wakegov.com/libraries/howto/inperson/card.htm

• I'm sorry -- I do feel your pain!  My ILs said they'd buy us a flat-screen TV today, and DH and I have repeatedly discussed that we don't need one.  In my case, I truly don't even want one, at least not while we're living in this house!  I mean, don't they know how often I've been having to ask people this week to turn the TV OFF?  A flat-screen TV could cost more than everything else they've ever bought us, but then again, we have opposite thoughts about where money should go.  (I'd get rid of the 40 year old shag carpeting in their house, and the green living room carpet too, for example. ;))  So yeah, unneeded upgrades in technology are a waste IMHO if the old-fashioned way works just fine if not better for one's needs.  And I'll be sticking with paper books -- and the library -- too. ;) 

And I have a thousand vents about today, but I'll sleep on it and maybe that will help shorten the list for all to read tomorrow, LOL. :)

Merry end of Christmas, friends!!!

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Crescent - Try this site: https://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page  It should help you access a ton of free books.  Now, they won't be the newest books, but there are a TON of books there.  I got a kindle for Christmas and my husband pointed me to that website to find some classics that I've wanted to read.

You might also want to try some national libraries and see what they have available.  I think there are a lot of free ebooks out there if you do some searching.

• imageMrsLee04:
    imagealchris:

So yeah, unneeded upgrades in technology are a waste IMHO if the old-fashioned way works just fine if not better for one's needs.

I understand, my parents are TV addicts.....when we went up there a few weeks ago DH and I counted 7 TVs in their house (it's just my mom and stepdad)!!!  And stepdad told us he was going to "surprise" my mom with a new TV for xmas!  LOL!  My mom tried to offer us one of her old TVs awhile back, saying we could put it in our bedroom, but we intend to stay a 1-TV household, with none in bedrooms.  She reacted as though I was speaking a foreign language!  Confused

Exactly!  We *had* a 2nd one, from DH's old apartment before we got married, but it was in the bedroom that will soon be Kira's room, and in the 5.5 years we've lived here we never hooked it to cable so we got about 2 channels on it.  I hadn't tried turning it on since about 2006, and that was only b/c I was exercising in there and wanted something to distract me.  One TV is plenty for us -- plus it's all we have room for since there will never be TVs in bedrooms.  I mean, do they really expect us to stop using my perfectly good TV that fits perfectly where it is?  And that we rarely turn on before 9:00pm (allowing for me to watch while nursing during Kira's nap time once family leaves town, of course ;))?

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"