Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Q about Baptisms

I was speaking with my MIL, who is planning the baptism for us since it will never get done if left up to DH....it is at a Catholic church. We do not know who we officially want to be the godparents so we were going to have the 2 grandfathers stand-in. They said we had to have a male and a female. They would just be standing in so why does it matter if it's a male and female vs 2 males?

Did anyone else come across this or have similar church rules?

Re: Q about Baptisms

• Only one godparent is necessary so if you only have one then its fine.  The name of the godparent(s) goes on the baptismal certificate, so why not wait to baptize the baby until you do have the godparents selected?  And yes, it is usually a male and a female. 

PS, the godparent(s) need to be Catholic if not Christian at least.
  • Our friend's Catholic church did not require the godparents to be male and female. They had their two brothers be the godparents. The church required one be Catholic and the other could be a Christian witness.
  • Loading the player...
  • A lot of churches have their own rules. I just called our priest this morning to schedule for DS and we have to have 2 godparents with at least one being Catholic. And there has to be a male and a female. I would talk to the priest directly.
  • I think it varies by diocese.
    Our only requirement was that one godparent be Catholic. Didn't matter male or female, I find that odd...maybe it's a misunderstanding?
  • i'm not catholic and thus don't believe in infant baptisms, i just wanted to say the siggy pic in pink is too adorable. and good luck with getting this figured out. I would agree with PP and wait until you had godparents picked out.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • every church is different, but in ours, we could have one or two godparents.  if just one, either gender is fine as long as they are a practicing catholic.  if two, one male one female.  if you wanted two males or two females, one could be the godparent and the other could stand up there as a witness. 

• Thanks ladies. I will check again and make some changes.

soontobe-thanks. i love that pic.

• Each Catholic church has different rules.  I called around to all the ones in my area to find out, since I definitely didn't want the Priest at my church to touch my baby.  Some are a lot more strict than others, and a lot of it just depends on that particular priest's view on the subject.  We experienced the same thing when deciding where we wanted to get married.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"