Single Parents

Apt hunting while pregnant

So my lease ends at the end of next month. I am also starting a new job and the commute from my current place would be a little bit of a nightmare. I don't want to be stuck in traffic, but especially after the baby arrives because I will only be able to take a short maternity leave and then I'll be back at work and my little one will be in daycare.

A few questions for my fellow SMs:

1. Do you have one or two bedrooms or more (in other words, do you share your bedroom with your kid/kids)? 

2. Have you tried living with a roommate? I am considering it since the area I'm moving to is a little pricier than where I live now.

3. How many of you have to drag your kids off to a laundry mat? For some reason, I am having a tough time finding a cheap place with in-home washer/dryer. I hate the thought of dragging my baby off to do laundry.

I appreciate your feedback, as usual! And I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Apt hunting while pregnant

• I did just this at 7-8 months pregnant.

So my lease ends at the end of next month. I am also starting a new job and the commute from my current place would be a little bit of a nightmare. I don't want to be stuck in traffic, but especially after the baby arrives because I will only be able to take a short maternity leave and then I'll be back at work and my little one will be in daycare.

A few questions for my fellow SMs:

1. Do you have one or two bedrooms or more (in other words, do you share your bedroom with your kid/kids)?  The first apartment we moved into was a 2 bedroom. DB and I had planned that the other bedroom was for ds. That went to hell. DB said he NEEDED his own room because he couldn't stand ds' crying. Whatever, didn't bother me. DS was in my room for the first 6 months anyways. The second apt we moved into was a 1 bd because it was all I could afford, and now we're back into a 2 bedroom (though ds always ends up in my bed by morning)

Looking back on it now. I will never not have more than 1 bedroom. DS needs his space and I need mine. It was hell trying to coordinate sleeping in the same room with him

2. Have you tried living with a roommate? I am considering it since the area I'm moving to is a little pricier than where I live now.

I couldn't live with a roommate. Especially with a child now.

3. How many of you have to drag your kids off to a laundry mat? For some reason, I am having a tough time finding a cheap place with in-home washer/dryer. I hate the thought of dragging my baby off to do laundry.

Our first two apts both had laundry in apt (they were in the same building just different floors) but this apt doesn't and I HATE it. It's on the 2nd floor (I'm on 3rd) and at the other end of the complex I always have to compete with other people (there's 3 washers and 3 dryers for the 24 units in our building. There are only a few apts that have in-apt w/d)

As far as I've ever known, they have to provide at least 1 communal washer/dryer to you if they don't have it in the apt...

I appreciate your feedback, as usual! And I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

In my bag
    d90
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • I was forced to move by my a$$hole landlord when I was 7 months pregnant...  some tips:

1. Get something on the 1st floor - I was hesitant about this at first because as a single person, I always felt safer on the second floor.  However, when you have groceries AND a baby to lug, you don't want to try this with a higher up apt.

2. I would have taken a 1 or two bedroom, but if you can afford a two bedroom, do it.  You will find a lot of peace in setting up a bedroom for baby, even if he/she sleeps with you in your room for the 1st 6 months.  Mine did but now I am VERY glad he sleeps peacefully in his room and he likes it in there.

3. If you get a roomie, make sure it's a REALLY understanding and patient good friend of yours.  Other than that, I agree with PP, no way would I have a strange roomie with a baby.

4. Try like mad to get a place with a laundry room in it.  If not, at least on on the same floor as you onsite.  Going to a laundrymat can be a pain already.  Oh and here's another instance where the 1st floor apt is almost necessary...  can you imagine trying to get all your laundry & soap to the car AND carry your baby?  

Hope this helps!

• Loading the player...
  • 1.   Two.  We just downgraded from 4 + office + toy room.   House sold.   If you can afford two, do it.  If not, you could share for the first year.   It is when they start getting those darn huge toys they need more room. ;)

2.   My sister lived with us for a year in my old house.   It worked out fabulously.  She paid rent, utilities, and groceries.    

3.  That was my requirement.  HAD to have laundry hookups in my house.

Good luck! 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • For me, I can't imagine having one bedroom, a roommate, or no laundry in my apartment... it's tough enough as a single mom and those things would make it that much more difficult, I think.  I guess if I knew the roommate well, it might be ok, and one bedroom would be all right for the first six months or so.  But I would strongly recommend you try to get 2 bedrooms and a laundry room.  I use cloth diapers so I am doing laundry all the time, and I can't imagine dragging Caro and all the dirty laundry along with me to a laundromat almost every day!

Also ditto PP re: living on the first floor.  I was able to find an apartment that you walk into on the ground floor (which is more convenient for dragging in the groceries), but the porch is raised up a level because the ground slopes down in the back of the building (which makes me feel safer since I am alone).

GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My requirements for moving into an apartment were that it 1) have a washer and dryer in the unit, 2) be on the first floor, 3) have at least 2 bedrooms, 4) have a dishwasher, 5) have an alarm, and 6) open out onto a greenspace. Fitting those requirements into my budget caused me to move to the suburbs, which is something I never, ever thought I would do. I've always lived in the downtown areas of large cities. It's not so bad though. In fact, living in the suburbs is all about convenience. I have a 2 bedroom and couldn't imagine having a roommate.
  • When I was pregnant and the first 3 months of A's life we lived in a 2nd floor 2 bedroom apartment with a roommate. I agree that it was difficult having to carry DS and groceries up and down those stairs. I didn't mind having a roommate but she was someone I worked with so I already knew her. I wouldn't be able to live with someone I didn't know.

In May we moved to a house where A has his own room but he still sleeps with me. It's nice to have his own room for his dresser and toys. And he will sleep in there when he gets older. Had laundry in both places, I think it would be really hard to have to go to a laundrymat and bring A with me.

Good luck, I hope you find a good place!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks for the input, ladies!

I almost rented a place yesterday that seemed okay, but the amount of stairs was ridiculous. It had the in-apartment washer/dryer, but the stairs had me worried.

I am hoping to find a small house to rent that has everything. My new job is much further away from where I live now, so its certain I need to find something closer. I just don't want to miss out on more of my baby's life than I have to because of a long commute. The problem is the places near my new job (I'm going to be working at a hospital) are very expensive. So I have considered a roommate situation, but I can't see a lot of people wanting to be in such close proximity to a newborn baby who will make her needs very vocal. ;)

I am continuing to search! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Kat,

Where do you live in B-more? I live in Elkridge its like 10 minutes away. I hated Apartment "shopping" and Maryland is expensive. I have a two bedroom apartment and its $1,100 a month. And E sleeps with me in my bedroom but like XCJen said I like that I have a place for his toys and clothes. And he will stay in there when he gets a little older. Side note though I did apartment hunt while pregnant. My job is 45 minutes away from where I live, and altough it feels like your missing out, make your weekends and after work EXTRA special! We go to a park around where we live every Saturday just to site see, and its free.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"