Trying to Get Pregnant

Job decision help (sorta TTGP related...)

So I realize this is only sort of TTGP related, but this is the most lively board I am on and I'd be so happy to get a few opinions.  And I'm sorry in advance for the long post, especially since I mostly lurk (but I've been around a long, long time...)

Back story: I'm currently a manager in an accounting firm, and have worked here for 6 years.  I randomly applied for a job as a controller at a nonprofit org. in November after being encouraged by a friend, and the week after Thanksgiving got an offer for the job.  After much debate I accepted it, and gave notice to my current job that I will leave in mid-Jan.  I thought everything was settled, and then yesterday by current job came back with counter-offer, and now I don't know what to do.

New job:

-23% raise over current salary, plus 3 more weeks leave.  No short term disability or maternity coverage that I know of, but amazing retirement benefits and good health insurance.  Wouldn't be covered by FMLA until next year.

-Regular schedule, no billable hours, my own office, go the same place every day

-Absolutely adore my potential boss (the CFO), but CEO has been described as a lunatic by every person I've met who knows anything about the org, and there has been a lot of voluntary turnover in the org the past 5 years (presumably because of her).

-A fresh start, something new.

Current job:

-New offer is 35% over current salary, same benefits etc. as I have now.  I do have 6 weeks short term disability coverage and am covered by FMLA now.

-With the raise comes the obligation to bring in new clients, could mean less job security in the long run if I don't succeed.  Also have billable hours requirements so I will work a lot more.  I go different places every day and don't have a regular schedule.

-I love my coworkers, but I hate some of my clients and was excited to leave them.

So, I'm really torn.  Staying with current job is probably better for being pregnant, but new job would be better for work life balance.  The extra money is appealing, but so is a fresh start somewhere new.  And I feel really bad about recinding my acceptance for the new job.  I know that this is a really fortunate decision to have to make, but it still feels so hard.  And of course as you all know, the uncertaincy of TTGP makes everything feel even more up in the air. 

If you made it through this long winded post, major kudos :-)

Peru!
imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Job decision help (sorta TTGP related...)

• Eesh! Haha...well, I know you can tell right now which job will be better for you when you get pregnant...but which job do you think is best once you have another LO?

I know this is pobably no help at all to ask that LOL....but if it were me, I would go with the new job. Staying at the old with a pay raise but then possibly less job security in the future doesnt sound like its worth it...JMO...let us know what you decide and GL TTC!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Since you are asking for opinions...

I think you should take the new job if you are financially stable right now. It looks like it would be better for you in the long run and provide for a better work/family balance with less pressure and stress. That is worth a ton in my opinion. If you are financially stable, dealing with the added medical costs over this next year shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Good luck!

Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a family member who is a CEO of a very large corporation and his advice on this matter is this (it's been a discussion of ours before):

If a company can't recognize your worth before you hand in your resignation, why would you want to go back to them when they present a counter-offer? You are getting a 35% increase in pay just because they don't want you to leave? How the heck can they afford to give you such a pay hike all of a sudden when they obviously had no intention of giving it to you before you wanted to leave? It's hard not to let the "oh my gosh they must really love the work I do for them if they are offering me all this to stay" get in the way of remembering that they obviously weren't paying you what you are worth, and taking "advantage" (I'm using this term loosely) of you doing all that work for less recognition than they're offering you now.

I'd say take the new job. Maternity leave only lasts a few months - you having to balance work, life, and being a mom is going to last a whole lot longer. It's more important to have a job that will allow you to have balance and security in your life while you have a young family, than a job that allows you to get paid mat leave. And remember, it's still a 23% pay increase, which is awesome. Good luck :)

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Congrats on the job offer. I don't really have good advice but I would ask about stability at the non-profit.  I work in the government but my non-profit friends say that they are being affected by the economy, even some of the big ones.  If it was me and all others things were equal I would go with the one that has the better work life balance.  Good luck in your decision.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagetosh24:

I have a family member who is a CEO of a very large corporation and his advice on this matter is this (it's been a discussion of ours before):

If a company can't recognize your worth before you hand in your resignation, why would you want to go back to them when they present a counter-offer? You are getting a 35% increase in pay just because they don't want you to leave? How the heck can they afford to give you such a pay hike all of a sudden when they obviously had no intention of giving it to you before you wanted to leave? It's hard not to let the "oh my gosh they must really love the work I do for them if they are offering me all this to stay" get in the way of remembering that they obviously weren't paying you what you are worth, and taking "advantage" (I'm using this term loosely) of you doing all that work for less recognition than they're offering you now.

I'd say take the new job. Maternity leave only lasts a few months - you having to balance work, life, and being a mom is going to last a whole lot longer. It's more important to have a job that will allow you to have balance and security in your life while you have a young family, than a job that allows you to get paid mat leave. And remember, it's still a 23% pay increase, which is awesome. Good luck :)

This is great advice!

• I'm in the accounting professional also.  If I was in your shoes I would go with the nonprofit job.  Doesn't sound like you were pleased with your current job to begin with.  I'm sure the stress will be much less at the nonprofit also.  I think you can buy short-term disability insurance that you can use for maternity leave for a reasonable price.  I have the option to purchase supplemental insurance (through AFLAC) at work and that is one of our options, so you might check in to that.  Good luck!
  • imagefhsulady15:
    I'm in the accounting professional also.  If I was in your shoes I would go with the nonprofit job.  Doesn't sound like you were pleased with your current job to begin with.  I'm sure the stress will be much less at the nonprofit also.  I think you can buy short-term disability insurance that you can use for maternity leave for a reasonable price.  I have the option to purchase supplemental insurance (through AFLAC) at work and that is one of our options, so you might check in to that.  Good luck!

I was thinking the same thing. Every post I've busted into someone's stolen my response... geeesh.

Congrats on the job offer. I also think the PP who had the CEO family member gave great advice. 

But when it comes down to it... go with your gut. I think deep down you know what you want to do.

• imagetosh24:

I have a family member who is a CEO of a very large corporation and his advice on this matter is this (it's been a discussion of ours before):

took the words right out of my mouth. I have always been told to only quit if you are going to stand by your decision - otherwise, you could be perceived by the company as someone who will bail when times get tough, regardless of whether it is true or not. Coworkers will probably perceive it as a ploy by you to get more money....you will always have this on your record at your current company. I think it is just best to stick with your decision. Always leave on good terms though - you never know if you will run into them again! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Started TTC #1: July 2010 DX: PCOS
    BFP: 12/5/10 Natural M/C: 12/17/10 (5w6d)
    Cycle 10 - 50mg Clomid + TI = BFN
    Cycle 11 - 50mg Clomid + IUI converted to TI = BFN
    Cycle 12 - 50mg Clomid + IUI #1 = BFN
    Cycle 13 - Clomid Break + Charting + Dr. Recommendations = BFN
    Cycle 14 - Clomid Break + Charting + meeting with URO (all clear!) = BFP!!
    Beta #1 - 105 Beta #2 - 336! 1st U/S (@5w4d)- gest. sac and yolk sac, measuring 5w2d 2nd U/S - 1/16 (will be 8w2d) Stick and grow, little bean! My Ovulation Chart
    BabyFruit Ticker

* Congrats to my girl SarahRuthG on her new baby boy!*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Take the new job!  I received several offers at the beginning of last year and let my boss pay me off to stay.  I am not happy and I am now again seeking other work.  I feel terrible because I don't want to leave anyone in a lurch once I get KU, but I need to do what is best for me.  There is a reason you applied for another job, remember that!  Money doesn't buy happiness and you are still getting a substantial pay increase either way!
  • You ladies are great- thank you so much for the advice. Its funny, because I get a variety of answers when I've talked to my family, so I was expecting a variety here too. I think it is telling that everyone thinks I should take the new job. Thank you so much!
    Peru!
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"