Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Plates overlap on baby's head

My LO is 7 weeks old this Friday and I have become very concerned about the ridge on his head. There are two actually. One is across the top of his head from temple to temple. It has gotten better but I'm still concerned. The other is on the back of his head and not visible but I can feel it.

His pedi explained that during birth the plates will overlap so that his head would fit through the birth canal. Understandable, but there is one problem. I had a c-section! I was induced a week early due to my diabetes. He was 7 lbs 14 oz so he wasn't as big as my first who weighed in at 10 lbs 15 oz. (His head was normal at birth BTW)

My question is how common is it for a baby to be born with overlapping plates and how long until his head looks normal? Our doc doesn't seem concerned but from what I have read on the internet it is starting to concern me.

Thanks!

Re: Plates overlap on baby's head

• Wait, you expressed your concern to your pedi, your pedi explained it and then what did he/she say when you said you had a c-section? this post is very confusing. I'd talk to your doc again.
  • My baby also had these ridges on his head, which did not concern the pedi when I asked (vaginal birth though). I can still feel the front one. I'll ask at his next appointment, but I am not concerned.
  • Loading the player...
  • My baby has this too and i had a c-section. My pedi said that everything is fine and that about month two they will start to disappear. 
  • As your baby's head grows, they will disappear.  Don't worry unless your pedi tells you that it is time to worry.  Your LO just needs some extra time to grow into his head.  Pretty common actually.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My baby's head is like this too. My pedi has never mentioned it and I have her check LO's head for flat spots every time we see her (even if we're there for a rash!). It's normal.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • She said it probably happened in utero. When I would lay on my side i could feel his head in my pelvis.  I carried him pretty low the last month.  she said he probably ran out of room and he wasn't able to move so the pressure caused the plates to overlap. He kicked a lot the last month but didn't move around.

Like I said my first son was huge and we did not have this problem with him so it is kinda a shock to me. But each baby is different!

Thanks so much for getting back to me. We have his 2 month apt in a week so we are going to ask about it again, but it is nice to see it is not uncommon.

• My niece had the front one as well.. She's 15 months now and you can't see it at all anymore.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also had a C-section and LO has these ridges as well. DH is a pedi and says that it's totally normal. It allows for head growth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"