Blended Families

Blended family poll

Are you friendly with your stepchild's mother?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is explain the relationship you have with them.

We have full custody of SS and his mom doesn't even speak to me. She rarely visits him. I think he's seen her twice this year -once over summer and over Thanksgiving. I find it weird that she doesn't want to get to know the person that spends the most time with him.

WDYT?

Re: Blended family poll

• I do not have a relationship with SD's mom.  I would love to but she has refused to speak to me from day one.  DH and BM were never married and things ended very badly for them. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would say we're friendly, but we're not friends.

We're cordial when we see each other and we exchange minor information if necessary (ex: if I do pickup and am running late, I'll give her a heads up). We stick to neutral topics and general pleasantries.

It's not that I dislike her, it's just that we're big on boundaries.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • BM and FI were never married and things didnt end on the best of terms for them. But they have both gotten over it all. In the beginning BM wasnt very friendly and accepting of me as she didnt like any of the girls that FI had dated before me. But we have gotten to know each other over the last year and a half and we get along really well. We talk all the time, have gone out a few times, concerts, etc. Its odd to some people but it works for us. We are like one big happy family. I am really glad that it is this way because I would rather be friends with her than be at each others throats and not get along.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • BM and I do not have any relationship whatsoever. I have spoken with her once, since 6 years ago when i told her I would never, ever speak to her again. That conversation (the recent one) was cordial and she actually told me that she would like to get together and talk. I told her ok, though she hasn't made any contact since, and I am totally ok with that. I really don't want to talk to her. I have no reason to do so. I don't want to be her friend. I don't want to hang out with her, or spend time with her. If she calls and I answer the phone I will be nothing but nice, but beyond that, nope no relationship at all, and I plan on keeping it that way.
  • I guess pretty friendly, like her.  When it comes to visitation, $$, and most health issues, DH and her mom handle this (w/ my input on his side).  We chat at school things, invite each other in, etc, but wouldn't say we're "friends".   Often do joint b-day parties and holidays. SD is going through some difficulty in an area in which I have "expertise" so recently, have had a lot more collaborative contact at her initiation.

It has it's own weirdness at times, spend much time holding my breath & treading lightly b/c I have so much anxiety about disturbing this peace for both SD's sake, my own, and that of my marriage, having seen the alternative on the boards.  Also (and this is my own stuff entirely), have wondered just where I fit when we're all just "one big happy family"...am I just the newest member or is there a place that is just "my" family?

Think our situation is comprised of some simple luck, the fact that DH and BM had a friendly divorce long before me, and that no one's BSC, or at least (self included) not neurotic enough that we put ourselves before SD's needs. 

For OP, that is a strange situation and unfortunate for SS, nice that he has a FT mothering parent in his life. 

• We're pals and we like to joke about our odd relationship (the fact that I'm SD's age). We both realize that we are important people in this wacky situation. In fact SD's whole family has been 100% accepting. Its nice to have somewhat of an extended family type relationship.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am the mom, but ex's gf and I get along very well.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • In the beginning BM was really nasty to me until I put her in her place.  She was screaming and cussing at me and I told her that until she was going to talk to me like an adult - we wouldnt talk and I would hang up. 

Eventually, she's gotten nicer... She is nice to my face, but makes fun behind my back (me being bald, etc.) We dont speak with her though and havent in over a year. SD is old enough that we can deal with her directly and not through BM.

• I don't have a relationship with BM.  I have never met or spoken with her.  We have SS full time and he doesn't have a relationship with her either.  She lives in Florida and has not contacted him in 1.5 years.
  • imageJ+R:
    she's gotten nicer... She is nice to my face, but makes fun behind my back (me being bald, etc.) We dont speak with her though and havent in over a year. SD is old enough that we can deal with her directly and not through BM.
    I'm disgusted by this, after all you have been through. That is just wretched. What an awful human being. Op- bm and I are friendly but are not friends. She is nice to my face but says anything negative about DH and I that he can to anyone who will listen. She and I can at least speak to eachother. Her and Dh can only communicate through texting lately it seems. I don't trust her as far as I can throw her, and would never ever let my guard down with her. *sorry no paRagraphs, I'm on my phone. It won't let me do hard returns*
    Visit my <a href"http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThisIsTheStuffs">Etsy</a> shop!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

"Karma1969: If baking someone a birthday pie/cake is romantic, I must be a slut."
  • My H has children with his exgirlfriend (BM#1) and his exwife (BM#2).

I get along really well with BM#1 and we are friendly. It took years for this to happen but now she sees me as another parental figure in her kids lives.We have no problem speaking to each other directly.

BM#2 and I are cordial but that is it. I really deep down can't stand her. She talks trash about me and my SDs know it. When they ask me about it I don't stoop to her level. I tell them I am thankful for there mom b/c she gave me the best SDs I could ask for (and I mean it).

You win some you lose some.

• The only times we ever spoke was when DH was still in school so I did a lot of the exchanges. And even then if was only "when did he last eat" need to know kind of stuff. But most of that was before we were even married so it was very awkward for me. Now if we are around each other we don't talk. We don't avoid each other or anything, there's just nothing to say.
  • BM and I are cordial.  We don't call each other, but she'll talk to me if she feels she has to. That's fine.  I'd rather DH take c/o the communication where she's concerned.

In reality-I don't think she likes me. Either jealousy or self-esteem issues, but whatever.  I'm not crying in a corner over it.

And that's horrible--someone teasing someone else behind their back cause they're bald?!?  WTF!? 

• I've met my son's step-mom a few times, we got along fine and he seems to like her, which is what matters. My husband has never actually met my ex (even after 10 yrs together, almost 8 married), both are fine with that arrangement. I have a good relationship with my ex so communication is typically just between us (we went 12 yrs without a court ordered custody agreement with no issues, we recently got one simply because my son was able to get into a great school where they live so they now have school year custody, I have e/o/weekend and school breaks - we were never married so legally we had to establish paternity).
    Michelle
    3 boys (15, 8, 6), 1 girl (4)
  • BM and I are friendly. We're friends on Facebook, we share pix of the kids and text about financial stuff. We invited her to stay for Christmas, we stayed at her place for New Years last year. We help the Fudd make gifts for each other and in may I got a mothers day card from BM saying how much she appreciates what I do for the kids. We're inviting her to join us on our Disney vacation because we know she wanted to take them but can't afford it for all three of them. I don't agree with every decision she makes, I would do some things differently but she's a good mom to the girls.
  • BM and I have known each other for about 13 years.  We were friends of friends in high school.  So, I think that has really helped our relationship.  She drives me up the wall because she does nothing for SS, hardly has any contact with him, and doesn't seem to care, but I make nice for the sake of keeping the peace.  At least she recognizes that I'm the active one in the mom role and doesn't have a problem with calling me to ask his shoe size, etc.
  • Ok I have this coming from two directions.

I am a SM. BM does not like me and she makes that very clear, however she calls on me when she needs MH to see her point of view on something. We speak, but only when necessary, and the only topic of conversation is SS.

In the other direction I am the BM. My children's SM do not speak at all what so ever. I put a note in their bag about anything going on with them, and then confirm it with Ex H. We do not speak during exchanges. Most of the time she wont even get out of the car. However SM has made it this way and caused this tension however she is not mature enough to handle the situation as an adult. Thank goodness my children's time there is limited!

• I'm very friendly with BM. We started out cordial; she wanted to meet me and know who would be around her son. The past few months DH and I hang out with her and her DH every week. Especially now that my LO is here - she's in love with him. She let's DH know when she's having 'baby withdrawals' and wants us to come back over.

That's also why I'm largely just a lurker. Aside from typical 10 year old boy issues, we rarely have any drama.

• I've met her once, at SS's school open house.  It also happened to be the first and only open house she's ever attended (SS is in 4th grade).  To put it bluntly, she is an absolute b!tch. 

BM and DH were never married and actually broke up before finding out she was pregnant (she was 19, he was 23).  It has been a mess from the very beginning.  Some highlights - said she was going to get an abortion, got money from DH, kept it without getting the abortion, and informed DH months later that she was still pregnant; didn't call DH when she gave birth - he found out through a mutual friend, originally put "unknown" for the father on the birth certificate; constantly threatens to try to get full custody (it's 50/50 now, every other week), even after have CPS visit her home.

She usually makes DH pick up and drop off SS and has only picked him up from our house (DH moved into mine).  She called DH from the car to say she was in the driveway and waited for SS to go outside to her.

The less I see of her the better.

• That'd be a big fat negatory there, Rubberduck.  If it's possible to have so little of a relationship that it's in the negatives that would be about it. 
    accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • DH handles issues with custody, child support, pick-up/drop-off times (basically all the touchy stuff) with BM. Other than that, BM and I have a decent working relationship where we can discuss Christmas and birthday presents, school events, clothes for Skids, extracurriculars, etc. Personally, I don't like her and if it weren't for the best interest of my Skids, I would never deal with her ever. I don't care if she likes me or not, but my guess is no.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 11/23/10 MMC @ 7w3d Discovered @ 10w2d D&C 1/12/11

BFP 7/6/11 Our Lucky Charm born 3/5/12
  • My ex has never spoken to dh. Obviously my situation is a bit different (ex lives several states away, only sees ds once or twice a year). but I see it as they have nothing to discuss. Any agreement on custody time get talked out between dh & I and then I will cordinate w/my ex.
  • BM and I do not have a relationship. I've met her and I've spoken a sentence to her maybe a handful of times in the 5 years I've been in my step-daughter's life. She pretends to be nice for appearances, but then talks poorly about me behind my back and posts things about me on her facebook. I have no desire to "pretend" to be friends so I don't say hi or make small talk. In general, if we're in the same room, I do my thing as if I don't know her and only interact if SD insists (which she did once when she wanted me to meet her baby sister).
  • BM and I have a cordial relationship. We basically speak only when it comes to my SD. Other time she has tried to talk to me she bashes my DH (a very bitter woman). She is much nicer to me than my DH. I will say that I personally believe that she does it to make her look like the victim in their divorce and make DH look like the bad guy (but I know what she is capable of). She has a habit of lying, particularly in front of SD, and I think it is sad because I feel she honestly doesn't even know she's doing it. I try to be nice for the benefit of SD because she is only 5 and doesn't need to know what a crazy, vindictive woman her mom is.
  • My DH was never married to BM she got pregnant when she was 19 and DH was 15. She has always hated me. I have tried to be friendly for the sake of my SS but she's so immature she lets her jealousy come before her son. So sad, she's like 8 years older than me and very immature.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We each have a child from a different person. My ex and H get along to the point of hello, goodbye, how are you type stuff. BM and I never speak, she hates me because H never married her when he found out she was preggo (SS was a one night oopsie 2 years before I came along).

• There are two BM's in my situation. I get along very well with BM2. We text/call eachother about SS2. We have even taken her daughetr from another father for the weekend when she needed someone to watch her.

BM1 is a different story. We are friendly to eachother when in front of SS1, but I can not stand her. Just yesterday she wrote on facebook that she wished FI would have spent the money he did on Christmas presents on moving out of state and never seeing SS again. She also involves SS in way too much information. And does/says things to discourage SS from having a relationship with FI. It makes me sick seeing some of the things she texts SS when he is here or on facebook. But I live by the motto of not letting her know it bothers me and living life the happiest as I can. She can be angry and bitter all she wants, I won't let it affect my family.

• I have a good relationship with BM.  We were friends in high school before she and DH were married and had SD.  Things have gotten a lot better for DH with me in the picture.  BM has been extra nice since she got married too!
  • I have never spoken to BM personally.  She has been in our home to drop off FSD and lives in FH and I's hometown with her new husband (who was a good friend of mine in HS actually) and is in a social position with her job and is actually friends with several of my HS friends and members of my family as well as still in contact with FHs family as they all still live there.  I don't think there's any hatefulness, there just isn't anything.  She cheated on my FH and I have no desire to befriend her or hear about her  new life and what not.  Not any ugliness, just don't want the drama.  I don't see how anyone could hurt FH the way she did and I don't want to be a part of someone's life who did that to him. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"