January 2011 Moms

Labor Induction

I went for my 38 week appointment today.  The doc checked me and I am still 2cm dilated and 70% effaced just like last week.  He then asked me if I wanted to be induced.  No medical reason for it, I had just expressed how uncomfortable I am lately.  I was SO tempted to say yes, but told him I would prefer to go natural.  (I've heard being induced can be a much more traumatic experience than going natural.)  

What would you do? 

Charlotte Loveday was born December 26, 2010

Re: Labor Induction

• 38 weeks seems early to induce for no reason, inductions suck, I would wait it out awhile longer
  • Wait it out. Your baby will come when she's ready. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • No way.  So long as we are both healthy, I plan on letting this baby come when it is ready.  I don't care how uncomfortable I am in the meantime.
    image  image
    Carina 12.28.2010 | Aurelia 9.23.12 | Chart - Round 3
  • imagemchupie:
    No way.  So long as we are both healthy, I plan on letting this baby come when it is ready.  I don't care how uncomfortable I am in the meantime.

Yup.

There was a post the other day from a mom at 40 weeks and they did an amnio on her LO's lungs to see if they could induce and baby was not ready yet. Even this late in the game, if baby is staying put there might be a very good developmental reason. While I'd like to kiss my little guy right now and be done with all of my Pg symptoms, he needs to stay put for as long as possible until the costs greately outweigh the benefits. It doesn't sound like you or I are at that point.

• I'd find a new doctor. No, really, I would not induce; there is just too much risk and we are all uncomfortable- that's pregnancy. 
  • I agree with everyone else. No reason to induce. Eat some spicy foods and have sex instead :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • I would avoid an induction unless my life or the baby's life was in danger.  Pitocin labor is generally way more painful, harder on the baby and leads to an increased risk of c-section due to the increase in fetal distress.  They are sometimes medically necessary but I can't imagine going along with one for convenience or to ease my physical comfort. 
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I want this baby out more than anything but I would not induce for no reason at all and I had the exact same progress at 37 weeks that you have now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This baby will come when it is ready, despite how uncomfortable I am.  Unless there was a medical reason for it, I would decline an induction.
  • no reason to get an induction imo, still 2 weeks till your due date!

Mom to 3 wonderful girls:
    Eva, born on 1/2/11
    Celia and Lily, born on 5/17/13
  • imagemchupie:
    No way.  So long as we are both healthy, I plan on letting this baby come when it is ready.  I don't care how uncomfortable I am in the meantime.

This.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I definitely think you made the right decision.  I'm at 38 weeks 3 days right now and my doc also had a talk with me about induction.  I have GD, so he doesn't want me to go much past my due date.  He also told me that we could talk about inducing a little earlier if I wanted to.  I was just like you -- super tempted because I'm so uncomfortable, but I ended up telling him that I want to go naturally if at all possible.  So the plan right now is to meet up on Jan 3rd if I don't have the baby on my own by then and discuss what we want to do from there.  Hang in there mama!  I think you made the best decision for your baby.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would definitely wait. I would love for this baby to be born sometime next week for a few different reasons (none of which have to do with my insurance or tax breaks, btw) but I wouldn't induce because of them.
    IMG_5889 Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all the support ladies!  I'm gonna stick to my guns on this one and wait.
    Charlotte Loveday was born December 26, 2010
  • Inductions suck hardcore, I wouldn't do it. Let the baby come when he/she needs to unless there is a medical need to them out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"