3rd Trimester
Options

freaking out about wood stain exposure..tell me i'm irrational please

My DH refinished a surface in our nursery tonight with a wood stain. I don't know where my head was when I didn't tell him that it was a bad idea to do with me in the house. We had even talked about getting special low voc paint when we were going to do the walls, which we ended up not doing. So anyways, he used wood stain for about 15 minutes, then came down and asked if i could smell it, which i realized i could, which led to me to  frantic google search and made me realize he shouldn't have been using oil-based paint in the first place with me in the house. 

I did call my ob, who said it was fine in household amounts, and not to worry, but i'm still freaking out. I'm trying to decide if i should sleep downstairs away from the nursery on our pullout, which sucks, or upstairs, in our bedroom which is next to the nursery, which now has all the windows open, door shut etc. It doesn't smell down here anymore.

Would anyone else be concerned about this, or am i being a crazy pregnant women? I can't stop crying about it, and am all freaked out, and everything on the internet has different information - some places say its fine, some places say to like evacuate for 3 days.

Re: freaking out about wood stain exposure..tell me i'm irrational please

• Options
    I think you'll be fine.  Stay out of that room.  Can you close the nursery door and open the windows so that it can air out?  I know it's hard not to get freaked out about this stuff but I'm sure you'll be fine.
    PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
  • Options

Take a breath, there is no reason to cry and freak out over it. You were/are not even on the same floor as him so everything is going to be okay. Besides your DH had to ask you if you could smell it before you "realized" it. Just make sure to keep the windows open in the room to vent and close the door to contain the fumes.

Also, stay off google.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You're being irrational... your OB said it's fine, that should have been the end of it.  Stop googling it!  It's fine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Honey, you've got to take a deep breath & calm down.  Healthy babies are born every day to people who do worse than have a whiff of oil based paint from upstairs.  All I can think is...your poor OB.  If you don't take a chill pill about some of things minor little things he/she is in for a looonnnnggg pregnancy with you calling at all hours.  I know that doesn't sound very nice, but please- they said it was fine.  Relax. 
  • Options

If you're in third trimester, I wouldn't be that concerned about effects on the baby. The biggest concern is in the first trimester when the baby is developing. If you're not smelling it anymore, you're not inhaling it anymore. And if you were that far away from it in the first place that you didn't even notice it until he asked, I'd say you're fine.

An extra piece of advice, don't ever use google if you're already freaking out. Anybody can put any crazy/wrong thing on the internet that they want. Trust your OB, you know they went to school for a long time.  

• Options

You are being irrational.  You will be fine and the baby will be fine.

While low VOC paint is a good thing in general, it's not a necessity.  You and baby will be fine if you use the regular stuff.

• Options

The key to this whole post is this... "I called my OB who said it was fine in household amounts"....

If you are still freaking out then why even call your doctor. You are fine, relax!

• Options
    Well the stress you are putting yourself through is likely doing the most harm. I refinished and stained a wood wall, painted our entire finished basement and nursery all 7 months pregnant and he's still in there and kicking away. Stop reading the internet and just relax! You'll be FINE! :D
  • Options

You are being kind of crazy :)

Just don't drink the wood stain!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I am super anal about VOCs and my best advice is to let this go. When preventable, it is great to reduce VOCs. But, sometimes life happens. This is a small amount for a short period of time. I would not be concerned. It will dissipate quickly. The worst you are looking at is probably a headache from the stink and dehydration from crying.

Not sure if this helps or hurts the hysteria, but I'd probably be more concerned about fiberboard furniture and synthetic rugs which off-gas over many months, not paint or stain which gasses and is done quite quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"