January 2011 Moms

Group B strep clicky poll

[poll]

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13

Re: Group B strep clicky poll

• I found out today I'm a carrier. I know it's not really a big deal - but I'm so annoyed. I didn't want an IV and I really don't like having to take antibiotics. I know it's important to get the antibiotics and I'm glad I can do something to prevent my kid getting sick or whatever. But I'm pissed.

• I had it last time. NBD. Haven't been tested yet for this pregnancy, but I'm guessing I'll have it again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I just had my test today so I guess they will let me know at my next appointment.
  • Negative at 34 weeks and 36 weeks.  They tested me early when I went to L&D at 34 weeks, then again at 36 weeks because they have to test you within 4 weeks of your EDD.  One less thing to worry about which is nice, but so many women have it its not a big deal.  I think you can get off of your IV once all the antibiotics are administered.  They are still going to make me get a heparin lock at least even though I may not need an IV hook up at all.
    I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I have it and I am annoyed too! It's just one more thing to worry about...
  • imageizzourclue:
    Negative at 34 weeks and 36 weeks.  They tested me early when I went to L&D at 34 weeks, then again at 36 weeks because they have to test you within 4 weeks of your EDD.  One less thing to worry about which is nice, but so many women have it its not a big deal.  I think you can get off of your IV once all the antibiotics are administered.  They are still going to make me get a heparin lock at least even though I may not need an IV hook up at all.

This is probably a dumb question - but being a carrier doesn't mean that you are ALWAYS a carrier? I don't know anything about group B strep. I skipped those parts in all the books because I didn't think it would be relevant.

You get an IV and then a heplock but they readminister antibiotics every 2 hours. The thing is - finding a doctor and hospital that did not require a hep lock was one of the things I was looking for initially so it's annoying that I need to get one anyway.

• I have had 2 different doctors with this pregnancy. One of my doctors tested me at about 6 weeks and I was positive. When I switched doctors, the new doc wanted to test me close to my due date and I was negative. So I am thinking it is something that can come and go.
  • My GBS test is Thursday afternoon, so I'll find out the first week of January. :( I wish I could find out earlier, but the doc's office will be closed the last week of this month- to include nurse calls. If I have any issues or worries I have to to to L&D and let the staff triage me. Sucks!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My doc told me that most women have it but it just depends on how much of it you have I guess...I tested positive but my doc said not to worry about it & that with my next pregnancy I might not have it.  He just said that during labor I'll be put on antibodics.  I'm not gonna stress over it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I didn't get my results yet.
  • imageRedZee:

imageizzourclue:
    Negative at 34 weeks and 36 weeks.  They tested me early when I went to L&D at 34 weeks, then again at 36 weeks because they have to test you within 4 weeks of your EDD.  One less thing to worry about which is nice, but so many women have it its not a big deal.  I think you can get off of your IV once all the antibiotics are administered.  They are still going to make me get a heparin lock at least even though I may not need an IV hook up at all.

This is probably a dumb question - but being a carrier doesn't mean that you are ALWAYS a carrier? I don't know anything about group B strep. I skipped those parts in all the books because I didn't think it would be relevant.

You get an IV and then a heplock but they readminister antibiotics every 2 hours. The thing is - finding a doctor and hospital that did not require a hep lock was one of the things I was looking for initially so it's annoying that I need to get one anyway.

If you ever test positive you are a carrier.  You can test negative if you are a carrier, it just means at that point in time, your immune system has kept it from growing and spreading to a detectable level that could infect your baby.  I've tested negative, but it doesn't mean I'm not a carrier, just means my immune system, at this point in time, is doing its job. I could test positive at the next pregnancy and in a month, you could test negative once your immune system fights it back again.  Or I might not be a carrier and would never test positive.  I've read about 20-30% of women are carriers.

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
  • I haven't been tested yet.  I'm only at 34 weeks (EDD 1/31/11)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I didnt vote since I havent been tested, tomorrow is my appointment.

I'm curious if there are things we can do to prevent from having group b like taking pro biotics or something like that? Docs should look into that!

• imageildali:

I'm curious if there are things we can do to prevent from having group b like taking pro biotics or something like that? Docs should look into that!

There are lots of things that can prevent having active Group B during labor.  And as a PP pointed out - it can come and go, so the standard test given at 36 weeks is really a poor indication of whether you will still be positive or still be negative when you are actually in labor.  It's just given then b/c, since 37 weeks is considered full term, 36 weeks is the best time to assure that most women will get the test before they go into labor.  This is great for people who go into labor at 37 weeks -- but for most women that don't go until 40 - 42 weeks, it's really not very good timing in terms of clinical accuracy.

Things with a documented effect on GBS: taking oral or vaginal antibiotic herbs such as garlic or doing a hibicus douche/wash; having sex - sperm has an antibacterial effect that kills the GBS (this can backfire though if your husband is a GBS carrier too and transmits it to you).  I think the verdict is still out on probiotics -- they certainly decrease bacterial infections in the body in general, and are now known to actually be part of the immune defense against certain hard to kill bacterial invaders like Lyme's Disease.  But I don't they are strong enough, on their own, to kill GBS or other bacterias without any other intervention, they are just part of a good defense system.

I got tested earlier this week, but even if it is positive, I will decline antibiotic use.  Very few women who are GBS positive actually transmit the GBS to their newborns, and I find the documented effects of giving antibiotics to an asymptomatic neonate or newborn to be more problematic and dangerous than the very small risk of transmitting the GBS.  And I read a peer-reviewed study from Cochrane's Medical Database that found giving antibiotics to GBS+ women was not supported by conclusive evidence, and did not drop the neonatal death rate at all when compared to no treatment.

I might change my mind if I am both GBS positive *and* there is an occurrence that increases the likelihood it would be transmitted such as pre-mature labor, prolonged membrane rupture without labor, or prolonged labor, etc.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"