North Dakota Babies

Shannon's Post Has Me Thinking (Poll for C/S Mamas)

Re: Shannon's Post Has Me Thinking (Poll for C/S Mamas)

• Cris - did you have a C/S?
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't have one, but I think as long as the doc/midwife thinks it would be safe, I would go for it.  Of course I might think differently if I actually had a c/s to start with.
  • VBAC all the way.  Except I am not having anymore kids.  But if I were, def VBAC.  I wouldn't want to have to recover from a c/s while having a new baby and a toddler.  I was in pain for a while.  Getting up to move was painful.  The thought of running after a toddler and re-learn to BF with a new baby  while recovering from a C seems impossible.

I know women do it all the time, those women are better than me.  So are the mommies with two kids and those that work.

• imageAshleysred:

VBAC all the way.  Except I am not having anymore kids.  But if I were, def VBAC.  I wouldn't want to have to recover from a c/s while having a new baby and a toddler.  I was in pain for a while.  Getting up to move was painful.  The thought of running after a toddler and re-learn to BF with a new baby  while recovering from a C seems impossible.

I know women do it all the time, those women are better than me.  So are the mommies with two kids and those that work.

You are an amazing mom and could have 10 kids if you really wanted!! You underestimate yourself!

See, my c/s wasn't nearly as painful as you describe.  I had Mari on a Friday and didn't so much as pop a Motrin by Sunday.  By Tuesday I was 85% back to normal.  I'm also terrified of rupturing my c/s scar and/or my former hernias (which may make having a VBAC impossible anyway).  My doc strongly discouraged a vaginal delivery from the get-go with my hernia history, so I can't imagine that he'd go for it this time.  

But, I do still always think about pushing and transitional labor and wonder what it feels like.  I don't feel gyped, but it is something I think about...

• imageDreamsBride411:

You are an amazing mom and could have 10 kids if you really wanted!! You underestimate yourself!

See, my c/s wasn't nearly as painful as you describe.  I had Mari on a Friday and didn't so much as pop a Motrin by Sunday.  By Tuesday I was 85% back to normal.  I'm also terrified of rupturing my c/s scar and/or my former hernias (which may make having a VBAC impossible anyway).  My doc strongly discouraged a vaginal delivery from the get-go with my hernia history, so I can't imagine that he'd go for it this time.  

But, I do still always think about pushing and transitional labor and wonder what it feels like.  I don't feel gyped, but it is something I think about...

Way different experiences with recovery.  That's intense.  K was removed on Sunday morning and I was taking pain meds around the clock until Friday and still taking them until Monday just not around the clock.  I was OK if I didn't move too much, like when I was sleeping.  But my stomach hurt for a long time.

You have a different reason for a C than I did.  K was breech.  I had no hernia history.  I had no reason to have a damn C other than her positioning.  I am bitter.  I don't even know what a contraction feels like.  I just feel like I missed out.  Don't get me started on my scar.  I hate my scar.  Hate it.  But there are many things I hate about PP so who really knows.....

If I were you, I'd schedule a C for next time.  The hernia histroy would be enough of a reason right there.

• imageAshleysred:
    imageDreamsBride411:

Way different experiences with recovery.  That's intense.  K was removed on Sunday morning and I was taking pain meds around the clock until Friday and still taking them until Monday just not around the clock.  I was OK if I didn't move too much, like when I was sleeping.  But my stomach hurt for a long time.

You have a different reason for a C than I did.  K was breech.  I had no hernia history.  I had no reason to have a damn C other than her positioning.  I am bitter.  I don't even know what a contraction feels like.  I just feel like I missed out.  Don't get me started on my scar.  I hate my scar.  Hate it.  But there are many things I hate about PP so who really knows.....

If I were you, I'd schedule a C for next time.  The hernia histroy would be enough of a reason right there.

I also had a C/S scheduled because Zach was breech and like you Ashleysred, I know nothing of labour and part of me does feel cheated.  I was also on pain meds for a while and my scar didn't heal properly so I don't have that "barely there" scar that people talk about. 

If we decide to have another baby I would probably try for a VBAC,  to have that experience.  That being said I am not a big risk  taker and I have a lot of faith in the knowledge and experience of health professionals, so if my doctor advised that I should have another C/S, I'd be convinced.

imageimageAnniversary
  • I'm so freekin' torn on this. I experienced 28 hours of active labor (25 of those without the epi), and I was dilated to a 10 when I has my c/s. So I did experience all but the pushing. So part of me says I felt enough contractions for a life time, because I am so aftaid of going through all that again for another c/s and then the other part of me just wants a joyous normal birth. I really want to decide what I want to do BEFORE I get pg again, so I don't have to make that decision clouded on horemones. I even lose sleep over this to this day (I did last night) I have my annual appt today and I would like to talk to the Dr about it, but something tells me they won't waste their time with it until I am actually pg (I go to a large impersonal practice).
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • I had a different experience. I went through the whole thing, dilated to 9cm at 5am and was back down to 8 by 8 that morning.  WTF?  The nurse who checked me at five disagrees with the doctor that I was only 8 when he checked me.  (She also was the nurse on duty when I was delievered, so she has a lot of experience checking).  I learned the day after I had A that my family has a history of not dilating fully.  I wish I knew that going forward.

My c-section was another story.  I am still so bitter about it.  I missed out on the first two hours of her life because of having it.  I didn't get that great feeling of having your child placed on your chest, hearing the first cry, getting the overall joy of knowing it is alright.  I had to ask the nurses what she was, they didnt tell me.  I had to ask what she looked like.  I had to wait an hour laying on a stupid hospital bed waiting to get upstairs to see my daughter.  They had me so drugged up on morphine I can't even remember if I held her.

However, I am having another c-section next time.  I think it will be a little easier as we will not be on team green next time, and I will have time to prepare myself for the c-section.  I am going to see if I can get out of the recovery room earlier and even ask if they can please take a picture so I can see the kid.  I am also having my tubes tide at the same time.

Recovery wasn't horrible, but it was not pleasant either.  I had to sleep downstairs and needed a crap load of help.  Luckily DH took off 9 weeks with me (only 4 were really needed).

A & T Since 2009 Parents of A born July 2010
  • imageCanadianBride84:

My c-section was another story.  I am still so bitter about it.  I missed out on the first two hours of her life because of having it.  I didn't get that great feeling of having your child placed on your chest, hearing the first cry, getting the overall joy of knowing it is alright.  I had to ask the nurses what she was, they didnt tell me.  I had to ask what she looked like.  I had to wait an hour laying on a stupid hospital bed waiting to get upstairs to see my daughter.  They had me so drugged up on morphine I can't even remember if I held her.

This is part of the reason I am so bitter about it as well. The gave me morphine, only to find out that I was allergic to it and I had a bad reaction, so Alexa's first day was a nightmare. Obviously I will know the next time around that I cannot get the morphine.... My recovery also wasn't that bad once home. I left the hospital two days after Alexa was born (by choice- I felt I could better recover at home) and only took once dose of the percaset at home, and just IBproffen for a week or so for swelling.
    ~Kimberly & Eric~ April 21, 2008 ~Tensing Pen ~ Negril, Jamaica ~ My Blog: One Sunset at a Time
  • I'm willing to consider a VBAC in part because the reason I had a c-section was because little man's head was turned so he didn't drop like he was supposed to.  My water broke, I was progressing nicely until I got to about 9.5 cm then it stalled.  I was 4 cm dilated when my water broke and got the epidural about 2 hours after my water broke.  The biggest problem I had was the fact that my blood pressure didn't drop (it was about 140/90 before I delivered) until a few weeks after little man was born.  That scares me.  In hind sight, I would have let them induce me at 35.5 weeks when my blood pressure just started looking questionable.  But hind sight is 20/20 and I don't regret anything since I'm healthy (relatively) and little man is healthy.  So we'll just see what the hospital policy allows and my OB allows.  I didn't think recovery was bad from the c-section but I had had my gall bladder removed a few years before and was used to having to move differently which I think was a huge plus for me since I knew what to expect (meaning don't do things normally).  To each his own I suppose.  I'm actually really glad I don't know what its like to push because 1)  little man was 9 pounds (eek!) and 2) he was tired when they pulled him out and if he had been more tired he probably wouldn't have bf very well.  He did a great job which made me feel much better about the decision to breast feed.

Not holding little man right after he was born bothered me but if it couldn't have been me then it was the person I wanted it to be, DH.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"