Orange County Babies

Potty Training Plan

I was told DD we would need a plan when she goes to her next class in January. We have started showing her what the potty is all about but I have no idea what consists of a "potty training plan." I think it's way too early but then again I thought it was too early to wean her off the bottle at 1 year old - she is growing up faster than I can handle.

Can you share your potty training plan or experience?

Re: Potty Training Plan

• At 18 months we bought Mia a little plastic potty (simplest ones at Ikea). We sat her down on it whenever she was wiling. I showed her how I go pee very often (sorry, TMI, LOL). We started to ask her if she wanted to sit and pee on it, usually before her bath. A couple times she by chance happened to pee in it and we made a huge deal, gave her a treat, etc. By around 22 months she knew exactly what was expected of her. I could tell because she would make her dolls go pee too. We continued to encourage it, when she was willing. By 26 months she was in panties and just using the potty.

We never used a chart or anything, simply because she goes to daycare and I couldnt really integrate it. Plus, I was too lazy to maintain a chart. However, we did use lots of rewards, usually in the form of M&Ms. At first we gave them to her just for sitting. But as time went on she'd only get them when she peed. Surprisingly, the pooping in the potty happened at the same time as pee so we didnt need any special training for that.

Good luck!

• My friend did the same thing as Luckiest. We have started with DS having him tell us when he has to go or has gone. The only problem is he yells poo poo! At least he is telling us though.
  • Loading the player...
  • We did the same thing as Luckiest.  Casey is now 26 months and and I'd consider her fully potty trained.  She never has accidents but I still put her in a pull up at night.  They are always dry when she wakes up so I think after we finish this pack of diapers we'll try the panties over night.  Good luck to you!  I would never have thought to introduce the potty to her when we did but while at Target she asked for an elmo potty seat so I followed her lead. LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"