Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

DS hates food, suggestions needed!

DS hates eating food. He will try just about anything but takes a few bites and decides he is all done. He will sign all done and throw food on the floor piece by piece until I clear his tray. I used to give him homemade purees when he was done with finger food to get some calories in him but now he'll take 2 bites and say all done and shake his head no and bat the food away.

He used to hate bottles (wouldn't take more than 8oz in a day at daycare) and now seems to just rather get a bottle than bother eating food. Kind of the opposite of what he should be doing at this time.

Anyone have a kid who doesn't like to eat? How do you address it? I will obviously ask our GI and Pedi but we don't see them until Jan and Feb, He is already a peanut, I feel like a failure!

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

Re: DS hates food, suggestions needed!

• Options

It took DD a long time to get into food but now she loves just about anything.  I just kept trying different things.  What got her to decide she liked food was to let her feed herself.  I never though we'd be doing BLW, but it's the only way I could get her to eat. 

What kinds of finger foods have you tried so far? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Honestly, I reward/bribe him for eating.  I still feed DS purees because he is a gagger/vomiter and its the only way I can get most fruits and veggies in him.  He hates to be spoon fed though.

I take something REALLY interesting that is usually off limits (cell phone, camera) or he's never seen before (random kitchen object) and hold it just out of his reach.  He's learned that he gets it when he takes a bite and now opens his mouth willingly. I let him have it for a few seconds, then take it away and repeat.  He's figured out the drill and now all I have to do is touch the object and he will open his mouth.

I'm not totally proud of this, but it works with DS.   

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Forgot to add...the most important thing is to NEVER make it a battle.  You want to reinforce that eating is a positive experience.  I do all sorts of silly, stupid things while he eats to make him laugh and smile.

Have you tried letting him eat out of the chair?  DS will throw his finger food on the ground and refuse to eat it, but he will eat it off the floor.  Strange kid.  Some finger foods we eat off a plate in the living room.  I hold it on my lap on the couch and allow him to eat at his own pace, one piece at a time.

DS 12/09, Twins EDD 11/11
  • Options
    imageBig J:

It took DD a long time to get into food but now she loves just about anything.  I just kept trying different things.  What got her to decide she liked food was to let her feed herself.  I never though we'd be doing BLW, but it's the only way I could get her to eat. 

What kinds of finger foods have you tried so far? 

I guess this is more recent, he used to eat better (though not great hence his size). I have given him just about everything with some guidance from his nutritionist. He doesn't like meats too much but loves beans and will eat tofu. He likes peas, carrots, and broccoli. He also like toast with jelly or peanut butter. He eats well at first and then just gets sick of it or something. I know babies don't love being spoon fed but I am supposed to add DuoCal to his foods to add calories and fat. He will let me feed him coconut milk yogurt but thats about it. He used to refuse bottles, now it's food.

"Normal day, let me be aware of the treasured day you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart...let me hold you while I may."

TTC #1- unexplained...lost left ovary 4/07 IUI #1 2/10/09-BFN IUI #2 3/5/09-BFN IVF # 1-BFP

TTC#2- FET 4/7/11 BFP, Natural mc 5/5/11 IVF#2 ER 9/13/11, ET 9/16/11, Beta #1 9/27/11 BFP 254 Beta #2 9/30/11 793 -Twins!

• Options
    imageAggieGrl:

Forgot to add...the most important thing is to NEVER make it a battle.  You want to reinforce that eating is a positive experience.  I do all sorts of silly, stupid things while he eats to make him laugh and smile.

Have you tried letting him eat out of the chair?  DS will throw his finger food on the ground and refuse to eat it, but he will eat it off the floor.  Strange kid.  Some finger foods we eat off a plate in the living room.  I hold it on my lap on the couch and allow him to eat at his own pace, one piece at a time.

When he says he's done, he's done. I definitely don't want eating to be a battle. At the same time, he is only 15lbs at 11 months so somethings gotta give.

I haven't let him eat a meal in the living room because I want him to get used to the whole idea of family sitting down for a meal. But I have put a snack on the coffee table and he will come take a bite and play, repeat.

• Options
    I could have practically written this post especially the part about throwing the remaining food on the floor! DD used to be a great eater (she was 9 lbs at birth and stayed right on the 90% growth curve). She used to eat 3-4 oz each of fruit and veg plus finger food. Up until the last couple days she was nursing really well so I wasn't too worried. Now she only nurses 1 side at a time. You are definitely not alone!
  • Options

I'm in the EXACT same boat...literally!  I read your post to my dh and he initially thought I was posting!

Our ds is 14 mos (he was born 8 weeks early, so adjusted, he's a year) and he weighs about 17.5 lbs.  He's only gained the last 1.5 lbs since July.  I was a wreck the last 6 months thinking he's not getting enough calories.  My pedi told me to give him pediasure for a few extra calories if I was worried and I did. I only added a little bit to his milk but it made me feel better that he was getting more nutrients.

I finally went to a GI last week and was told that he believed ds is just fine.  I needed to stop worrying and not to force ds to eat.  I used to play a video while I fed him b/c he would eat more and  I was told to stop that.  I have to let him eat on his own and let him decide what he wants to eat.  I'm going back to check his weight next week.  It's the Dr's way to prove to me that ds will gain weight when I let him control the eating.  So...we'll see. 

I'll admit that my mind is a bit more at ease.  I'd still like him to eat solidly all the time but he doesn't.  He's been drinking more and I'm OK with that.  I do notice that he try a lot more foods just not eat them up.  I'm happy that he'll at least take a bite.

Good luck.  I know how you feel and I wish we could both have the hefty eaters! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"