Parenting after 35

Snowed in, finally made it out of Canada!

The Great Lakes got hit with a major storm last week while we were visiting my parents (only 4 feet of snow but that's major for the east coast) and we had 5 flights in a row canceled...so crazy!  We finally made it out 2 days late. My housesitter had to leave so my friends have been taking care of my pets, I miss my doggies so much!  This is the longest we've ever been away from them (7 days). Crying  It was a good visit, Simon got to meet his 2 1/2 year old cousin Jane and they had lots of fun playing together and chasing each other around my parents' house. Yesterday morning was pretty rough, Simon woke up with a 104.7 fever so we took him to the ER and the doctor said it looks like Fifth disease because of his red cheeks. Guess he picked up that or some other random virus on our flight out there.  So scary to see a fever that high, but it went away with Motrin. He's still cranky and I think he has a sore throat so I think I'll take him to his Pedi if he doesn't get better soon. The Canadian ER was kind of lame, none of the doctors really touched him or examined him, they just stood around smiling and chatting with us.  I grew up in that system so I'm a supporter of socialized medicine but honestly I'm wondering if all the good doctors have gone south (literally). Well at least we didn't have much of a wait! Anyway not trying to start a debate on health care, just wanted to update everyone and can't wait to read all the posts I missed over the week!

Lisa

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Snowed in, finally made it out of Canada!

• Hurray, glad you made it back!  Boo for serious fevers, though, yikes.

What province were you in?  I know Quebec has a pretty serious doctor shortage. 

You are likely to be eaten by a grue. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagePeppernut:

Hurray, glad you made it back!  Boo for serious fevers, though, yikes.

What province were you in?  I know Quebec has a pretty serious doctor shortage. 

Ontario, and they used to have good healthcare but I haven't lived there in 20 years.  The city I grew up in is a University town and they have a great teaching hospital but the care we got at the ER sucked.  They had a medical student do the exam and he was afraid to touch Simon, barely looked in his ears or down his throat.  Then a doctor came over who was about 12 years old and Doogie Hauser just stood there and told the med student how to feel the fontanel on S's head for dehydration, that was about it!  Then another doctor came over and just looked at his red cheeks and said "oh it's probaby Fifth disease" and then left and then Doogie came back and just stood there smiling at us while a nurse chatted with us about cross-border shopping!  No co-pay, they said they'd mail us the invoice...

• Loading the player...
  • Hope Simon feels better! Yes, that's what you get with socialized medicine. I lived in Toronto from 1996 to 2001, and from what I remember the quality of medical care we were getting with my oldest daughter wasn't so great. ER's suck everywhere though - I don't think they are any better in this country.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Glad to hear you had fun, but ick for the fever!  Hope Simon continued to sleep on the flight last night and is feeling better today!

And hmmm, I think you are a snow magnet!

• imagePiranha54:

Glad to hear you had fun, but ick for the fever!  Hope Simon continued to sleep on the flight last night and is feeling better today!

And hmmm, I think you are a snow magnet!

Haha, totally!  It's time for you midwesterners/east coasters to get some!

• We have a few inches (we also have smartly chosen to live outside Cleveland's "snowbelt") but friends on the other side of town have about 4 feet! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"