Philadelphia Babies

Is 40 minutes to far?

I live in Phoenixville and am thinking of choosing Riddle Hospital to give birth.  It will take about 40 minutes to get there.  Do you think that is too far?  

Re: Is 40 minutes to far?

• It took us 25 minutes to get to our hospital so I'd say no.  It's rare that labors go that fast that you won't get there in time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't think it's too far.  But FWIW, I gave birth at Phoenixville Hospital in June and the labor & delivery nurses were AWESOME.
  • Loading the player...
  • For me personally, yes.  We recently moved and considered staying with our OB in the city because I loved the practice so much.  But in traffic it would take 30 minutes to get there and we just weren't comfortable with that

There is also a great hospital minutes from our house, so that made the decision easier. 

DS 3.12.08
    DD 7.11.09
    DD 8.01.13
  • No, I don't think it's too far.

Have you considered Paoli Hospital? They are also part of the Main Line Health system. I delivered my 2 daughters there and they are wonderful. 

I actually just came home from there today if you have any questions!  

• I just moved to Sanatoga, and I am still using Bryn Mawr hospital. It is about 45 minutes, without traffic.  If I go into labor during rush hour, I am screwed :)

That being said, I like the hospital, my practice and pedi is there, plus I have had 1 child there so it is comfortable in a sense.

I don't think it will be a problem!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Funny.. I had the same question, and I am also thinking of Riddle to give birth.  My OB is there... I live in Philadelphia, and it will also take me 40 minutes to get there.  I think I am going to stick with them.  

Mom to Benjamin 6/2011 and Lena 5/2013; baby 3 on the way

• I live in Collegeville and I delivered 2 babies at Abington Memorial, which is a 40 minute drive with NO traffic (haha).  It was worth it to me because Abington, along with Lankenau and Bryn Mawr, have the higest level NICU, and they all would have been a 40+ minute drive from here.   Go where you and baby will get the best care!
  • I live in Royersford and delivered at Paoli ~40 minutes away depending on traffic, during rush hour could have been much worst.  I absolutely loved my experience with them and will do it again.  I think you need to go where you are most comfortable because chances are you will have plenty of time to get there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nope, I am going to deliver at Laneknau and we actually don't even know where we'll be living. Currently in southern Delco but house is on the market. Could be moving as far as Lansdale which would be about 45 minutes in no traffic .... but i love my OB practice!
  • I'm in p'ville and used the birth center in Bryn Mawr, 25-30 minutes with no traffic. Which I was fortunate to have! My neighbor just gave birth at Paoli and raves about her experience. Good luck with your decision, its a biggie!
  • Well my first OB appointment is Friday and his office is in the Paoli Hospital complex and I know he'll go to both Paoli and Riddle.  I was just looking at the options for what the maternity ward had and just thought Riddle looked the best but since so many of you liked Paoli maybe I'll talk to my doc Friday and see what he suggests.  

Thanks for the feedback!

• oh and H&H 9..well 7 months to you.
  • While it is rare, it would have been way too far for me.  My son spent 10 and a half weeks in the NICU and I could not imagine having to make that drive 2 times a day.  I was exhausted enough and the 15 minute drive sometimes was a lot late at night.  But then again, there were a lot of parents I met in NICU (at Lankenau) that traveled over an hour daily to see their babies.

• I don't think so. We were at least 45 min from Abington when we lived in the city with #1.
  • I know this is super-late and you may not read it, but....I would actually pick a closer hospital.  It has nothing to do with the actual delivery and getting there in time, but for the days following. I live near you and delivered my 1st baby at Bryn Mawr. I loved it, but it was really tough for my H to get there because of traffic. Sometimes he wanted to just run home and shower or let the dogs out, etc., but it would turn into a pretty long trip b/c of traffic. If there were no good hospitals near you (I have heard good and bad about P-ville Hospital and all good about Paoli), then I would say go to Riddle, but you have good options closer to you.

I actually am planning on delivering this baby at Paoli because it's closer to my home and easier to get to than Bryn Mawr.  I should say that I wold not risk my baby's health by choosing a hospital based ONLY it's proximity to my home. Heck, I can see P-ville Hospital from my living room couch and chose not to go there. I am sure it's a fine place and I absolutely LOVE their pedi (Penn Care for Kids), but I just prefer Paoli or Bryn Mawr.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Go Phils!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"