Birth Stories

Bridget's (relatively) easy birth PIP

On Monday, December 6, I had my 41-week appointment where I had an NST and my membranes stripped.  At that time, we also scheduled an induction for that Thursday with the hope that I wouldn't need it.  After the stripping of the membranes, I started having light cramps.  These lasted through the night, but I didn't think much of it.

At 5 AM Tuesday, I woke up with slightly stronger period-type cramps.  They were constant, not timeable, but I figured calling into work would probably be a good idea.  By 6:00, I noticed a pattern with the cramps and began timing them using an app on my phone.  They were consistently 4 minutes apart, lasting for just under a minute.  This went on for 2 hours before DH suggested I call the OB nurses and see what they thought.

They recommended I head to the hospital, which I was happy to do, because the cramps had amped up their intensity little by little.  We checked into the hosptial at 9:00.  I was 2 cm, so my OB decided to break my water at 10:30. 

From there, the contractions gradually became more intense, especially when I tried walking a couple times. I only got a couple steps out the door before I gave up and hurried back to bed.  The pain was definitely getting to me at that point, and I got some relief with an epidural at 1:30.  At that point, they checked me, and I was at 3 cm.  The doctor decided to throw some pitocin in my IV to get things moving.

The epidural made me love life again, and I was able to smile and be social for awhile.  We watched a couple movies to kill time, and the epidural started to wear off after an hour or so.  The button they gave me to bump it up didn't do anything, so the nurse came in and topped it off, which immediately helped.  By about 4 or 4:30, I was at 8 cm and ready again for another top off of the epidural. 

By 5:00, I was ready to push.  There was no pain but enough pressure for me to feel exactly what was going on down there, so that helped me push.  At 5:26, Bridget Kendall was born!  She was 9 lbs 4 oz and 21.5 inches long.  DH cut the cord, and they put her on my stomach right away for a few seconds.  Then, they cleand her off a little and put her on my chest.  Just like I've always heard, when I started talking, she looked right up at me.  It was cute!

So all in all, it was a very straightforward birth--everything went normally and pretty quick.  Although recovery isn't pleasant since I did have a little tearing, drugs are great. 

Now for a couple pictures.

IAmPregnant Ticker imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Bridget's (relatively) easy birth PIP

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"