Natural Birth

Did you use an AquaDoula to labor?

If so, is it worth it?  Did you love it?  or was it one extra thing to get ready?

I am giving birth at home.  The MWs do not do water births, but do allow you to labor in the tub.

My doula calls the AquaDoula the midwives' epidural, and My husband (!) think this is a MUST have.  My midwives think it's a good option for many but isn't always worth it (e.g., if your labor goes fast, you have a hard time making enough hot water, etc)

I basically have to decide if I want to rent one now (...maybe yesterday, actually...) as I am due next week and in theory, could give birth any day. 

I have a shower. I also have a birth ball and my other relaxation/distraction techniques. 

Thanks in advance! 

Re: Did you use an AquaDoula to labor?

• i labored at home for my first birth and only had a shower and a small tub for water relief. i had a homebirth with my second baby and had an aquadoula. i will never labor/birth any other way!!!! the tub is large and deep enough to completely envelop your body. it was like little chocolate kisses dancing all over me. absolutely heavenly! LOL! the shower was nice, but just not the same.

i spent the last 3 hours of my 7 hour labor in the tub. it was absolutely amazing to be in the water during the last phase of labor. i did birth in the tub and can't imagine having to get out. if you wanted to birth in the tub, what would your midwife do? could she just not notice?

the model i rented had two heaters, so the water stayed pretty warm. you could do a test run to see how long it takes to fill up your tub based on how much hot water your hot water heater can produce at one time. water has to be put into the tub hot. the water temperature will be maintained by the heaters in the tub.

DEFINITELY worth it! even if my labor was only an hour, i'd still want to have the tub!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved mine.  LOVED it.  I was in labor for 40 hours and pushed for about 3.5 hours and spent more than 50% of that time in the tub.  I also gave birth in the aqual doula. 

I can't believe you are not "allowed" to have a water birth at home.  Jeez- that was one of the many reasons I decided to have a homebirth.   I'm sorry, but sounds very odd for a homebirth MW. 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Loading the player...
  • I cant speak for an AquaDoula itself, because I havent used one. But just thought I'd poke my head in to say that I had a water birth (labor and delivery) with DS and being in the large tub (at a birth centre) surrounded by lovely hot water was amazing! I spent many a hour in the tub and it made a ton of difference (labor was 30 hours). 

I had a hospital birth with DD and used the shower, but it was not the same at all! It felt almost ineffectual in comparison (mind you, my contractions were different too). If I were to have a home birth, I definitely think I'd invest in an AquaDoula.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepinksweetpea2:
    I can't believe you are not "allowed" to have a water birth at home.  Jeez- that was one of the many reasons I decided to have a homebirth.   I'm sorry, but sounds very odd for a homebirth MW. 

This. Ive never heard of someone not being allowed to waterbirth at thier HOMEBIRTH. Id ask them why the hell they dont do waterbirth.

Ive heard great things about the aquadoula. The only thing I dont like about the aquadoula is the very thin sides. Makes it difficult to comfortably hang over the sides. Even if you do the slice teh noodle thing its still uncomfy. Wouldnt be my first choice of birth tub. Im going to be ordering either the La Bassine or teh Birth in a Bag tub. :) Really leaning towards the La Bassine though. :)

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like people do love it.  I guess I'll go ahead and reserve.  Stay tuned for a report back in the next few weeks! 

• FYI for the group, the AquaDoula is here...baby still baking in the oven...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"