High-Risk Pregnancy

Cerclage & ? about INDOMETHACIN

hi everyone

i haven't posted here with this new pregnancy, but i did when i was pregnant with our twin girls.  i am 12w 6d with a singleton and am getting a vaginal cerclage put in next Thursday.  we just had some prescriptions filled that i need to take prior to the procedure on Thursday, one of which is Indomethacin (25 mg).

i was reading the information that came with the medication and saw that it has shown to cause harm to the fetus.  i will be calling my doctor about this on monday, but has anyone taken this before getting their cerclage?  it's a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug to treat mild pain.  in my eyes, i can do without if it's just to treat "mild pain."  but does anyone know if it's used for another purpose?

TIA! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cerclage & ? about INDOMETHACIN

• I had a Cerclage done at about 13 weeks due to I too miscarried twins due to an incompetent cervix. I was given a spinal.

I was put on Indomethacin 25 mg  to take after I had the surgery. It is not recommended in the Third trimester of a pregnancy due to that time of developement.

They also gave me percoset (sp?) aka oxy and trust me I only took one of those but that day I needed it!!! and it is totally safe.

also so you will not freak out. I had a blood clot come out a few days later ~ totally normal due to they actually move your cervix and ute in order to put the stitch in and you will feel that pressure, do not freak out. I talked to my anesthesiologist the whole time I was in surgery. She was great.

you will be fine.

Anniversary

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had a cerclage 3 days ago. I was not given it before the cerclage but was given it after for 4 days and it was 50 mg. It is also given to help stop preterm labor after a cerclage. The harm normally occurs in the third tri. that is why it is not supposed to be taken then.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejojobean1977:
    I had a cerclage 3 days ago. I was not given it before the cerclage but was given it after for 4 days and it was 50 mg. It is also given to help stop preterm labor after a cerclage. The harm normally occurs in the third tri. that is why it is not supposed to be taken then.

This.  NSAIDs are most harmful after the muscles for the ductus arteriosus form (about 32 weeks).  If you take NSAIDs after that time, the ductus can close prematurely (instead of after baby is born).  NSAIDs used in pregnancy can also decrease the urine made by baby, but that is chronic use.

Likely they are prescribing it to reduce the contractions (if any) that you will have due to the cerclage placement. 

Ask your doctor about any meds you are concerned with to make sure you understand their treatment plan.

Three losses in 2009; Boy/Girl twins born in 2010 image
  • thanks ladies!!  i feel much better about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy!! I lost twins at 23 weeks due to IC- I did not have a cerclage with that pregnancy, but they had me on indomethacin to treat irritable uterus/contractions for a few weeks. The harm that it can cause to the fetus is that is can prematurely closure of the ductus arteriosis, but short term use will not likely cause this. I had an U/S every week to check the arteries and make sure it wasn't narrowing and everything was fine. I think they probably have you taking it prior to getting a cerclage to help keep your uterus calm and contraction free after the procedure. But definitely ask your doctor.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • i have a cervical cerclage put in july 9 th and i'm getting it taken out soon i didn't have to take any medications before i had mine done but they did do a spinal on me for the surgery the reason i had to have the cerclage is cause i have had 2 misscarrages a set of twins and a little girl when i was 19 we waited till i was 25 to try agian and i'm 33 weeks 5 days pregnant now with a little boy congrats on the pregnancy
  • Just lurking around...I am not pregnant but I do take Indomethacin (75mg) for Ankylosing Spondylitis and pretty bad SI joint inflammation (medicine makes the different between walking and being bed ridden).

I have an appt. the 23rd with my rheumatologist about switching to something TTC-friendly since my OB said that the indomethacin is a no-no past the 1st tri

Good Luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"