March 2011 Moms
Options

Why do I wake up feeling like I smoked 3 packs of cigs overnight?

For the last week or so, I wake up to my lungs hurting.  For those of you that have ever smoked, it's like waking up after a night out at the bar where you look down and realized you've smoked an entire pack in 3 hours.  I don't know why this is happening, because obviously I don't smoke, but it's starting to concern me.  It doesn't last all day, but I've been up for an hour now and it's still there.  I go to the doctor on Monday, so maybe I'll ask him.  Anyone else experiencing this at all?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Why do I wake up feeling like I smoked 3 packs of cigs overnight?

• Options
    Maybe it's your heating system making the air too dry?  If you have radiators, try putting some bowls of water on top of the radiators.  Otherwise invest in a humidifier and have it on during the night.
  • Options
    The air is getting dry now that winter is really here, that's my guess.
    DS born via c/s 11/08 and med-free GD VBAC DD 3/11! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I experienced this for a week or so a few weeks ago.  I'm still not 100% sure what to attribute it to but I was also experiencing shortness of breath and some heart palpitations, all of which have cleared up.  I realized later that this was happening during a period of time that I was having a lot of extra stress at work, so it's possible that was a contributing factor.  Do you think yours could be stress related at all?

• Options
    I used to smoke and know exactly what you are talking about. Check your air filter. I get like that if I go to my mothers and fall asleep... I swear its the crappy air filters that she buys.
    Dating 7/25/03 Engaged 7/25/07 Married 11/10/09 L 3/11/11
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married Bio

• Options
    Are you sleeping flat on your back? This can cause breathing and blood circulation issues.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageJayfinn:
    Are you sleeping flat on your back? This can cause breathing and blood circulation issues.

This! That's how I feel when I wake up sleeping on my back...I don't fall asleep on my back but I end up there. Confused

• Options

I've been having REALLY bad shortness of breath lately. I contribute it to the colder, drier air and Landon moving higher up.

Shortness of breath and heart palpitations are signs of anemia, so get your iron checked. I just started supplements a week ago, but it takes 3-4 weeks for for levels to really change. I'm hoping this feeling goes away soon... it sucks.

• Options
    My chest has been really tight in the morning, but I think it's because I have a lot of drainage (allergies and cold) and I have to cough it all up in the morning.  I'm always super short of breath in the morning too.  It's almost hard to get ready for work.  Do you have any history of asthma?  My doc gave me an albuterol inhaler to try because she said that sometimes if you've had any asthma in the past, it can get worse during pregnancy.  Not sure yet if it's helping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageShelynla:

Do you think yours could be stress related at all?

I was going to suggest this, along with a few other things.  I would reccommend replacing air filters and doing the humidifier thing too.  Also, I feel that way when my blood pressure rises.  Def talk to your doc about how you are feeling, because they will probably want to monitor it.

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies.  We changed our air filter about 2 months or so ago, so I don't think it's that.  I am going to get a humidifier and see if that helps.  Thanks for all of the responses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"