3rd Trimester
Options

Amnio experience?!

Can anyone let me know how their amnio experience was? I'm nervous about the possibility of having one. Our baby is measuring extremely big so I'm either going to be induced or have a scheduled c sec and they want to test his fluid to determine his lung development. I've only heard bad things about amnios. What should I expect? 

Re: Amnio experience?!

• Options

They numb that spot.  Use an ultrasound to guide the needle.... poke the needle in, draw up the fluid, and you're done. 

That's about it.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Actually my doctor said they don't numb you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wasn't numbed. They sterilized, and warned me that they were going to stick me (I didn't watch) and about 5 min later it was done.it burned a lot towards the end, and I had a bruise-like feeling at the injection site for a few days, but overall it wasn't the worst experience ever. Mine was done at 19w when they thought they saw something wonky in the anatomy scan. Baby boy decided to try to grab the amnio needle, too. Good times (oh, and they were wrong about the wonk. Kid is fine)
    Baby Boy Born 3.15.11. 8lb 9oz, 21.75in. 6 month stats: 20lb 11oz (92%tile), 30.12in.(100%tile - who knew it went over 99th? Which means 100% of other 6 month olds are shorter than mine!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"