June 2011 Moms

NT scan last night & Gender?!?

So we went in last night for our NT scan. I have to wait until next week for the results but so far everything looks good. We looked out for when they took the measurement of the neck fold and it came up as 1.6mm but of course we'll know the final results of everything next week.

Anyway, we were asked if we were looking to find out the gender, which was a shock to us b/c we weren't expecting to know anything so early. We said yes and 5 mins into the scan he said, 'well, it looks like a girl'. I asked how he could tell and he said that 'the bump did not look as large as it would if it was a boy'.

We are so excited, but now I'm wondering how much I can rely on these results. He said that is wasn't 100% b/c it was early, but that he thinks it very accurate.

Your thoughts?

Re: NT scan last night & Gender?!?

• Here is what helped me. We didn't want to know so our tech wouldn't tell us, but I kind of think this is the money shot. (ours in on the far right)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lost Lilah (Audra's twin) at 26 weeks. Cause unknown. Forever in our hearts
  • I think I would not start painting things pink.  It is VERY early to tell as the genitals are not yet fully formed and are very similar at this stage.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I also got a girl guess at my 12 week NT scan.  The doctor said it was a 60/40 guess (which I think probably means it's more like a 70/30 guess).  I would just take it with a grain of salt - you're probably more likely to have a girl, but it's not set in stone yet.
  • I wouldn't start buying everything pink until you get confirmation at 20 weeks or so, but congratulations!
  • oh boy, those pictures confuse me even more! 

Eli Augusten // 06-01-11
    Juniper Serra // 01-03-11
  • Thanks girls! Yeah, we're not planning on painting anything just yet.

We're excited to find out but honestly, if at my 20 weeks scan they tell me it's a boy, I'll be excited all over again. Boy or girl i'm just happy to have a healthy baby. BUT if I just happen to see something for a girl on sale, I might just pick it up and store it witht he receipt just in case Confused

• I had my last NT Scan done by a top radiologist in the area with the best equipment and he guessed right for one baby! (He didn't give a guess for the other since he couldn't get a good enough view.)

Either way, congrats on a good scan!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Actually, while bored at work last night (RN at hospital), I took advantage of our access to published medical journals and found out that a good tech at 12 weeks can accurately guess about 80% correctly, and at 13 weeks, that number jumps to well above 90%. Of course, it depends on how much you trust your tech. I was measuring nearly a week ahead of my ticker at my NT scan on Tuesday and it was very obviously a penis...time will tell of course but I'll be curious to see if the tech was right. They were with DD!
  • imagekattyleigh:
    a good tech at 12 weeks can accurately guess about 80% correctly, and at 13 weeks, that number jumps to well above 90%.

Interesting. I'm closer to 13 weeks so if he was good (which I got that impression) then it's 90%. Big Smile

Stay tuned...I will update in about 7 weeks.

• imagencawa:

imagekattyleigh:
    a good tech at 12 weeks can accurately guess about 80% correctly, and at 13 weeks, that number jumps to well above 90%.

Interesting. I'm closer to 13 weeks so if he was good (which I got that impression) then it's 90%. Big Smile

We are totally going to have to do a clicky poll! Conduct our own "research study". Smile
  • imagekattyleigh:
    imagencawa:

imagekattyleigh:

We are totally going to have to do a clicky poll! Conduct our own "research study". Smile

Agreed! Let's remember.

• Ok, how can you guys even see a "dangle" on your ultrasounds? In mine, my baby's legs were angled upwards (bent at the knees, about 90 degree angle) so there was no way to see any kind of genitalia.  Granted, I'm Team Green, but I'm just confused how you can even see any little nubs this early.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, I wouldn't have expected to learn gender at such an early point but, hey, medicine is always progressing.  With my first (a girl) they were pretty sure of gender at the 20 week exam but I didn't get 100% certainty.  With my second (a boy) it was far more obvious at the 20 week ultrasound.  I didn't realize how similar they look this early on, no wonder it is hard to provide conclusive results.  That being said, I'll be 12 weeks at my NT test and I would be super excited to get a clue. 

• We were told boy at our NT for Jacob, but we didnt start buying until our elective gender scan/sex determination at 18w. It all looks the same for quite a few weeks in there, until the girl parts start to angle downward and go in. Since they told you girl, I would be even more cautious and def wait for an elective scan or your big u/s at 20w.

Jacob Alexander 7/23/09
    Allergic to Dairy, Eggs and Peanuts Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Jameson Adam 6/1/11
    Allergic to Peas...so far Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagetarmar81:
    Ok, how can you guys even see a "dangle" on your ultrasounds? In mine, my baby's legs were angled upwards (bent at the knees, about 90 degree angle) so there was no way to see any kind of genitalia.  Granted, I'm Team Green, but I'm just confused how you can even see any little nubs this early.

We didnt ask our tech nor did he offer up the sex or any guesses at it...BUt we had 3D technology at our NT and THEN you could totally see a nub.  Penis nub or vagina nub?? who knows surely not I - but we saw it! 

We however did not see anything on the typical black and white scan. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • imagetarmar81:
    Ok, how can you guys even see a "dangle" on your ultrasounds? In mine, my baby's legs were angled upwards (bent at the knees, about 90 degree angle) so there was no way to see any kind of genitalia.  Granted, I'm Team Green, but I'm just confused how you can even see any little nubs this early.

Well if I'm looking at the video correctly, somehow, someway the tech was looking at the baby from the botoom up. The baby had 'her' legs wide open too. I don't know if it had to do with 'her' moving around like crazy and switching positions for him to get the view or if he did something to get that view.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"