Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

jack and jill bathrooms...

Does anyone have these in their house in which the kids share it?  If you do are your kids the same sex or opposite sex?  What are some pros and cons of a jack and jill bathroom?

We are building a house and there is a jack and jill bathroom between our kids rooms.  Our kids are the opposite sex and I don't see a problem with that now but later on down the road I can see possible issues when friends are over and what not.  We were thinking about changing the plans so that the bathroom is not a jack and jill but I am not sure what to do.

I just wanted to get some opinions from anyone who has experience with a jack and jill bathroom.  Thanks! 

Re: jack and jill bathrooms...

• Options

We only have 1 child now but also have a Jack and Jill bathroom set-up.  I really do not anticipate any problems and will certainly teach my kids about privacy and boundaries. 

They have their own sinks off their rooms and will share a toilet and shower. I think it will be WONDERFUL and am thrilled with the set-up.  

I have never heard of any issues w/ this set-up.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had one growing up and shared it with my sister.  Personally, we hated it but I think part of that was the fact that my sister is generally inconsiderate.  Just a few things to keep in mind if you do decide to go with the jack and jill style:

Make both doors open into the bedrooms.  My door opened into my room but my sisters opened into the bathroom.  The result was her door hitting mine whenever she went into the bathroom and having to move out of her way if I was already in there.  

Do double sinks so they both have sides to keep their toiletries in, especially important as they get older.

Unless everybody is very conscious of how much noise they make, there is a chance they'll wake the other up when using the bathroom.  We used to wake each other up showering in the morning, using the restroom in the middle of the night, etc.  It was really bad if one of us was sick in the middle of the night.

Again, these aren't issues that everybody has, just my experience with them.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If we ever build a house I would like to get one.  I think it will be invaluable once the kids become teenagers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"