Babies: 3 - 6 Months

S/O little peanut babies. . . percentile ?

My LO was born 8 pounds, and at her 4 month appnt, she weighed in at 13 pounds.  She's EBF.  Pedi wasn't concerned at all, and said she's doing great. . . however, I really expected her to be heavier. 

Any way, she was in the 25-50% - this seems like such a big range to me.  Is this how percentiles are usually calculated?  Also, is it the "rule" that LO should follow the same percentile at each well-baby check?  Thanks! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O little peanut babies. . . percentile ?

• DS is was IUGR and born at 34 weeks. He weighed 3 lbs. He's not even on the growth chart for his weight, but was 25-50% for length. I think on the growth chart one line is the 25th and the next is the 50th, so if LO is in between the two lines, she would be 25-50th (maybe)?? I don't think they should necessarily be in the same percentile at every appt. 
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • DS was 7lbs 7oz at birth (41w 2d) and 11 lbs 10 oz at 4mos (24%). he's stayed in the 25-35th% for weight pretty much the whole time. I think as long as they're regularly gaining it's not an issue. I think it can be cause for concern if they make a huge % leap out of nowhere, but even that's not always true depending on the situation. DS is long and skinny, also EBF and pedi said he's doing great and not to start solids until 6mos.
  • Loading the player...
  • My dd was 8lbs, 4oz when she was born.  At her 4 month appt, she weighed 12 lbs, 5 oz.  The nurse said she was in the 50th percentile.  I checked another chart and it said the 25th percentile so I guess there is a range for weight.  My pedi wasn't concerned either.  My dd is formula fed (except the first 1 1/2 weeks when I could BF). 

Babies born in the 80th percentile and dropping down to the 25th percentile could be a concern but they will watch how they do at the 6th month check-up.  It's basically too early from what I was told to know if there is a problem- unless they don't grow at all.  A huge drop could show a problem - or it could just be they didn't hit the next growth spurt yet.

I've had 2 friends who went through something similar too.  The first had her son drop at every appointment.  At 6 months, they figured out he had reflux and put him on meds and he gained weight.  The other just had a tiny dd- she is now 3 and totally healthy- just very petite.

All this is strange to me because my son was always in the 90-95th percentile for weight and height.  My dh and I are tall/larger so I keep asking where this cute, little petite thing came from!  If she didn't look like my baby pictures, I would swear they switched babies on me at the hospital.  But seriously, don't worry- babies do grow at different rates.

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• My lo is in the 95% for weight and 90% for length. She is a big girl.
  • My DD was 7lbs 12oz at birth and dropped down to 7 even.  At her 4 month appointment she was 12lbs and 26.5 inches long.  That is 15th percentile for weight and 98 for length.  Pedi isn't concerned about her weight at all, and sayd she is just a skinny baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"