Washington Babies

vacation with kids?

WWYD?

I've heard all these great trips to San Diego and Alaska AIr has a pretty great deal right now to So Cal. 

We were planning to go to Hawaii though.

W is 3, and we are hoping I'll be pg or have a new born by this time next year.  So, if this is our last trip as a family of 3, WWYD, assuming costs were relatively the same? 

Hawaii or So Cal

BIG Brother born 10/19/07 little Brother born 1/31/12

Re: vacation with kids?

• I'd do Hawaii over SoCal any day of the week.  

Depends on what you want to do.  We just went to Kauai (I'd prefer Maui with a little) and I'm from San Diego. We vacationed there last fall.  HI was a lot more mellow, going to the beach and relaxing type of trip. SoCal was more SeaWorld/Zoo/LegoLand.

• Hawaii! I've been to both Kaui and Kona and I loved Kona (The Big Island). I have to agree with pp So Cal is more touristy go do stuff and Hawaii is more laid back and go with the flow. Although Hawaii is more expensive for food.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on how much time you have. For an extended weekend trip I'd go to SD. I go 3x a year usually for a long weekend getaway.

If you have a week or more, i would go to Hawaii. Esp since itll be hard to go on a long flight like that later with 2 kids!

• So Cal.  I was about 12 weeks pg when we took C to disneyland this past summer and it was a really great time. There are so many other things to do there with the kids at this age.  I wasn't really showing when we went so I was able to still wear a bathing suit but if I were any further along I'm not so sure I would want to do somewhere that we would be hanging out on the beach or at a pool all day in a bathing suit?  As far as going with a new baby that wouldn't be too bad I guess.
    imageimage Brothers! image
  • This is a debate for us also. D really wants to go to Hawaii in Feb, I want S.cal, and now we are thinking Disney.  My issue with Hawaii, is it sounds like more work, M will not just be lazy at a beach for hours. And frankly the flight sounds like hell to me, with a 4 and 10 month old, yuck, no thank you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am like a Hawaii tourism bureau member (ha, I should be) so I say Hawaii. Maui is gorgeous, has both nature and more urban stuff, the beaches are some of the best in the world and there is a lot to do for families. If you decide to go, I can give you some fab recs. I also like that you can rent a condo, and have a place to make some meals, do laundry, etc., which is important with a kid. The flight isn't AS bad as it sounds, and we take the redeye back so we sleep. We took Collin when he was nine months and will be taking him again in March when he will be 21 months.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Does W still take naps?  I'd go where ever you'd be happier doing nothing (or escaping for a couple of hours by yourself) while he naps...
  • We moved here from So Cal last year, so while I LOVE San Diego, it doesn't seem like a vacation to me... I'd do Hawaii. Go to a resort that has a kids club or something family friendly. The water is more swimmable IMO. The water in So Cal is always cold and even in the summer it can be chilly (sweatshirts are needed at night). Plus you get June gloom in May/June on the Southern Cal coast. It can be similar to PNW clouds/gray/dreariness. If you choose SD, go after the peak of tourist season. September is my fave month in San Diego.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"