3rd Trimester
Options

Please help, need some thoughts and ideas

I also posted in the January 2011 board

So I don't really post much, I'm mainly a lurker, but I've come across a situation where I need some help. 

Backstory: My husband has seizures, and they we're onset late in life (meaning no prior history of seizures before May of 2009).  Since then, he has had a seizure every few months, probably every 3 months.  Well once he got his medicine regulated, we have gone almost a year without a seizure (last one February 2010).  Well in the state of Colorado, after 6 months seizure-free, you are able to drive a vehicle. He has also never had a seizure later than 4 am, and he's always had his seizures in his sleep.

Current issue:  On Friday, my DH and I were going to go Black Friday shopping and we got up at about 3 o'clock in the morning.   Well we got ready, and DH got into the truck, backed out and stopped to let me in (we have a long driveway and I couldn't get in the passenger seat where the truck was previously parked).  I got in the car, and he just put the truck in drive and at that time had a seizure.  I didn't realize what was happening until I looked up (I was double checking the time on my phone) and realized we we're heading for another car. I looked over and he was seizing.  At that time, I reached over and pulled the wheel so we wouldn't hit this little car (it would have been totaled) and tried my best to put the car in neutral or park, whatever I could get to first.  Needless to say, I didn't get to it in time, and we ended up hitting another truck. Police we're called and we we're taken to the hospital.  We are both ok, but due to this seizure, my husband cannot drive.  What would you all recommend I do when I go into labor?  The in-laws are currently living in Wyoming, grandma and grandpa in law are located an hour away, my sister isn't capable of driving due to medical issues and lack of car, and my mother works as a nurse in the hospital so she is constantly on call, and I don't know that she will be available to take me when needed.  I'm due January 16th, and my hospital is located about 30 minutes away. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Please help, need some thoughts and ideas

• Options
    Do you have any friends close by or a neighbor that wouldnt mind being called in the middle of the night?
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options

Oy. Sounds like you're in quite a pickle. Glad to hear that both you and your husband are alright. That's all pretty scary!

Do you have friends nearby that might be willing to take you? The only other thing I can really think of, which isn't a good solution at all if you ask me, is to talk to your doctor about scheduling an induction maybe a few days before your due date. Mine *won't* do one until 39 weeks anyway, and not without good reason, but it might be something to check into, just so you know that you, DH and baby all get to the hospital safely... Tongue Tied

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Hmmm. I am having a doula, so my doula could drive us if the situation arises.

If you have an interest in a med-free birth it would be a double whammy?

Otherwise you could maybe ask a neighbor. Perhaps someone older who would likely be at home? Explain the situation? Or call a local church/church you attend and explain the situation.

GL 

EDIT. 

and uhhh, I would certainly not consider DH not being able to drive and emergency to the point of needing to induce. Sounds pretty dumb IMO.

• Options
    Well, there could be the chance that your mom may be available.  Could any of the in-laws stay in your area around your due date?  Do you have any neighbors or co-workers that can be on call?  OR, a husband's co-worker?  I guess the last resort would be a cab, since I don't think your labor would only be 30 minutes, but I would give them time to get to you and get you to the hospital before your contractions get too bad.
    Stephanie Hsu
  • Options
    Thank you all for your ideas, we thought about having in-laws stay with us, but it just isn't an option because we don't have the room.  I've had the cab idea mentioned a few times, and I think at this point that's my best option aside from my mom.  We don't really have any friends in the area (all out of state for school, or not in a position to drive) capable of taking us. I was going to talk to my OB about maybe allowing me to go in during early labor (before any of the pain sets in and I'm comfortable to drive) and letting me stay at that point so that way I'm able to take my car with the car seat and keep my bag in my car and that way the car is already at the hospital and I have time to find someone to drive us home. 
    Dx PCOS July 2011 BFP 07/28/2012, Due 04/09/2013 Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Wow! That is a tough situation. If you can't find ANYONE else to commit to being on call for you, I would plan to be able to drive yourself as SOON as labor begins and then just hang out at the hospital until you are admitted, even if that is a long time.  It's better than not being able to get there at all.  Good luck! 
  • Options
    Also with the ambulance, my only concern is we have a hospital that is much closer to my house (probably about 5 minutes away) and they would take me there and I wouldn't be able to have my OB or any OB I'm comfortable with there to deliver with me. I also have had a bad experience at that hospital because I went there for an emergency appendectomy and was not left in very good hands  =(
  • Options
    Ask the hospital if they have a service for this.  I know some big hospitals offer a taxi type service for people who need to get to and from the hospital (older people who can't drive, handicapped, etc.)  They might be able to come get you.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all! You have given me some nice things to think about.  It's just hard to come up with some ideas on your own (this whole ordeal has got so many aspects to it that are stressing me out, I'm just trying to work through them one by one so I don't get myself too stressed out, but have a plan in place in case I don't make it to my due date). I really appreciate all of your input
  • Options

As far as I know, the ambulance will take you the hospital you request, unless they are on divert, especially for a delivery. My husband is a Paramedic, and that's the way it works here. You could call and ask.

Thanks! I didn't know that was an option, I will definitely be looking into that.

• Options

An ambulance is only obligated to take you to the nearest hospital if you are in critical condition. Don't let them bully you into going to the nearest hospital because it's convenient.

However, ambulances aren't taxis and shouldn't be used as such so it wouldn't be my first choice.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageHyfagal:

An ambulance is only obligated to take you to the nearest hospital if you are in critical condition. Don't let them bully you into going to the nearest hospital because it's convenient.

However, ambulances aren't taxis and shouldn't be used as such so it wouldn't be my first choice.

If you are able to call a cab first and are comfortable you would make it to the hospital on time then do that. Do not call 911 and request an ambulance unless you really need it for something critical. They do not have an unlimited number of ambulances so I wouldn't tie one up just for a ride to the L&D. Besides, that ambulance ride will be a lot more expensive then a cab ride.

Since you know ahead of time, have the cab service number posted on your fridge just in case so you won't have to search for it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is there a hotel or motel that you can move into near your due date that is close to the hospital?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think a cab/taxi would be a good idea. Just call the local cab company ahead of time to let them know that you may be going into labor and when you call, let them know you are IN labor. That way they don't dawdle and leave you sitting outside waiting.

• Options

imagelarrysdarling:
    Is there a hotel or motel that you can move into near your due date that is close to the hospital?

I'm looking into that now, however, when I go there for my appointments I don't see any along the way.  I'm thinking there might be some in the opposite direction, so I'm looking into that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"