Austin Babies
Options

nbr: Need help with another fruit fly conundrum

I originally posted this on the gardening board, but it's dead as most of the plants I've ever had over there.

If a nice, new plant I have is infested w/ fruit flies, do I have to toss the whole thing since even if I can kill the flying ones, they probably laid eggs in it?

It probably got infested at the grocery store where I bought it, but if not, do you know how my plant might've gotten fruit flies and how I can prevent this in the future? I don't have rotting stuff lying around and I just want some nice real plants. They better leave my pretty poinsettia alone.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: nbr: Need help with another fruit fly conundrum

• Options

In theory if you can trap/kill the newly hatched ones fast enough, they won't have time to reproduce and lay new eggs. But it happens really fast! Once the surface of the dirt dries I've noticed the activity slows dramatically. In doing my google research, it sounds like a small amount of dish detergent in the water used on the plant can help, so you can look into that.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Other than putting it outside, which you prob don't want to do with the possible freeze tonight, I remember hearing little bugs tend to hatch when plants are over-watered.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"