March 2011 Moms
Options

Have you pulled the "pregnancy card?"

I have about traveling this year for Christmas.  My family is here locally and the in-laws are about 7 hours away so we always spend Christmas with them.  We decided last year before we were pregnant that we wanted to stay in town for Christmas this year.  Rather than tell them we don't want to come this year, it was easier to pull the pregnancy card and say I don't want to travel in the 3rd tri.  Has anyone else used this to your advantage?
Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Have you pulled the "pregnancy card?"

• Options
    I pull the card on my husband all of the time.  He knows I use it to my advantage and still lets me get away with it.  I personally think he likes spoiling me a little bit, and, of course, I don't mind, lol.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes! Someone at work told me I wasn't acting nearly "princess-y" enough but I feel like I'm always playing the pregnancy card with family. You only get 10 months - I say live it up! Party!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I figure the card expires in about 3 months, so I'm going to get all the mileage out of it I can!  Luckily DH is willing to play along!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKayteagirl:
    I figure the card expires in about 3 months, so I'm going to get all the mileage out of it I can!  Luckily DH is willing to play along!

LOL... this! Yes

• Options
    I dropped something the other day and instead of picking it up, which I can still do but with a little difficulty, I asked one of my students do it.  She was glad to and I only felt a little guilty... Devil
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicInternational Nestie!Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have used it as a (half valid, half excuse) reason to skip out on my 10 yr HS reunion (last weekend), corporate holiday party (this weekend) and a friends New Years Eve Party.  Even if I don't want to go, I usually feel obligated so I go and loosen up with a drink or 2, but being sober swollen and exhausted- i just don't feel like it!!  People can't really complain when I pull the prego card!

At the same time though, I hate when people treat me like a complete cripple. My hubby yells at me every time I carry a laundry basket up a flight of stairs becuase "pregnant ladies shouldn't lift anything!" I threw a party for hubby's Bday the night before thanksgiving and MIL wouldn't let me do ANYTHING.  While it was nice for her to help, her attitude was more like I couldn't handle it than just wanting to help me out. I love hosting and it annoyed me a bit.  But I'm sure once i'm further along i'll be WISHING more ppl would help! 

• Options
    I've tried to pull it a few times at work but they aren't letting me get away with it.   Granted, one moment I'm hauling 40 lb boxes and unloading skids (Yes, my OB says It's okay still), and the next, I'll pull the "I"m Pregnant" when I dont' want to do something.  My boss just laughs at me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • Options

imageKetie:

imageKayteagirl:

LOL... this! Yes

This!!! I whine and say I feel bad (which I actually do feel horrible) and get him to run errands or get me food! He makes a fuss about it but  does it for me  :) don't know what i'd do without him 

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • Options
    No, I haven't really yet. Wish I could though! Although DH does let me sleep in an extra hour now in the morning, when he used to bug me to get up with him bc it made it "easier" for him to get up if I got up too. Boo to that!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemrsgail:
    I have about traveling this year for Christmas.  My family is here locally and the in-laws are about 7 hours away so we always spend Christmas with them.  We decided last year before we were pregnant that we wanted to stay in town for Christmas this year.  Rather than tell them we don't want to come this year, it was easier to pull the pregnancy card and say I don't want to travel in the 3rd tri.  Has anyone else used this to your advantage?

Pretty much this same scenario.  My IL's live 3,000 miles away.  They originally wanted me to travel cross country three times in as many months - for DD's bday in October, then Thanksgiving and finally Christmas.  Of course, their real plan, I later found out from our 15 yr old niece, was to convince me to stay from October until the new year because that would be easier.  Indifferent  I should mention that DH is deployed.   My OB put the kibosh on any travel after 24 weeks since I started having complications around then with DD after a long car trip. 

Other than that, I don't think I have.  With DH gone, I'm pretty much stuck sucking it up.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekellibelli04:
    I dropped something the other day and instead of picking it up, which I can still do but with a little difficulty, I asked one of my students do it.  She was glad to and I only felt a little guilty... Devil

I don't even try to pick things up if DH is around, he picks everything up that I drop.  We went mini golfing the other day and through 2 rounds he got my ball out of the hole every time.  I've also managed to get him to help me put my sneakers on if he's around.  I can still do it but it is getting awkward to bend over like that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Oh yes I've pulled it.  As pp said I'm getting all the milage i can from this sucker!  DH gets the brunt of it but he's happy and willing to help out.  Have gotten him to pull off my boots for me (which actually at times I really can't do), he helps me off the sofa so I don't have to roll off, and carries anything 'heavy' for me.  

Lately I've pulled the card at work.  It's snowed here and the sidewalks are super icy.  I could theoretically just get up earlier to get in to the office on time but have managed to show up late and my boss doesn't care when i tell him it's slow going with this pregnancy.   

• Options
    I've only really used it when I really needed it. During the 1st trimester and early 2nd when I was sick I did as much as I could but when I couldn't I let people know. I also use it when its really going to harm me or my baby, bad fumes way too much weight to carry etc. I am however enjoying when people pull the card for me "You can't do that while pregnant, let me do it for you!" These people I love.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Unfortunately my family lives about three to four hours away and I can't play that card. Plus, we'll be living to far next year to travel so this year they get to use that against me. Sigh***
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Sure have! Our families live out of state and we go see them if my job allows me to have off (I work in a hospital). This year I'm off for Christmas and we are staying put. I will miss my family, but I just don't want to travel this year.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I haven't really needed to use it, people just offer to help me more and DH has been fantastic at trying to do things himself.  Oh, and I guess it was used when I was flying but that was more the airlines decision than mine.

image Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagekilissa:
    I pull the card on my husband all of the time.  He knows I use it to my advantage and still lets me get away with it.  I personally think he likes spoiling me a little bit, and, of course, I don't mind, lol.  

This.  If he's home I will ask him to help me put on and take off my shoes.  I can do it (if I really want to) but it's so much easier to sit on the couch and put my feet up and let him do the work Big Smile

• Options
    I have only used it a few times. As pp said, I hate when ppl treat me like I'm incapable of anything bc I'm pg, so I try to limit playing the card. DH is pretty good at letting me do things I want to do (carrying things, etc.) and does't give me heck for anything (I would kill him if he tried to tell me I shouldn't carrya load of laundry), but when I ask him to do something (sometimes just bc I'm lazy), he's quick to oblige. I think he's the only person I've used it on.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    Not yet, but I am planning on changing the holiday tradition next year, I will not be trekking over an hour away on Christmas Eve night to my SIL's house (who I'm not fond of anyway) with a 5 year old and a 9 month old. It's just too much IMO on Christmas Eve. So not the pregnancy card, but definitely the baby card :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"