Single Parents

Texas Law (advice for a Lurker)

My brother hit my SIL. Now she's trying to leave him. She has mine and my dad's support 100%. We just want what's best for my 19 month old niece. The best way for her to leave him is to move to Georgia with her sister because her BIL is in the Army and stationed over there and can get her a teaching job on base. (she graduates with her teaching degree next week).

We know the best person to answer this is a lawyer, but the one she was referred to is out of town. My question is, what does she need to do to take my niece out of the state without my brother accusing her of kidnapping or anything like that? How long would that take?


Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Texas Law (advice for a Lurker)

  • The best thing for her to do would get an emergency order for protection.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

    In my bag
    50mm f/1.2 * 28-85mm (Macro) f/3.5-4.5 * 70-300mm f/3.5-4.5
    Opteka Fisheye Adapter * Lightscoop
  • My mother runs a domestic violence shelter.  The best thing would be to find a place like that.  They can help her get everything documented and file a protection order, which will help with being able to get her out of the state.
  • Loading the player...
  • I live in PA but, I was told that if both parents are on the birth certificate and there is no court ordered visitation or parenting plan in place either parent can take the child and it isn't kidnapping. 

    Good Luck to her and I hope she is safe. 

    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    "There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards