Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Curious about transition to sttn

My DD1 was a terrible sleeper and we had to sleep train her so there was no "natural" sleep thru the night transition. DD2 is a great sleeper and I don't see needing to sleep train her. But I am wondering...

when your LO started sleeping thru, did they literally not make a peep all night?  we are so quick to jump and feed when DD2 starts whimpering, that I sometimes wonder if she's just stirring and would go back to sleep. I just don't want her to get all worked up and fully wake herself (and DH) up, which is why I get her so quickly.

DD's longest stretch is typically 6 hours.  Last weekend we stayed over at friends' house and dd cried at the 5.5 hour mark. we were playing a game so i didn't rush up to her. After about 3 minutes or so of fussing, she went back to sleep and was still asleep at the 8 hour mark when I dreamfed her before going to bed myself. I don't know how long she would've gone, but that was a new record for her (7 hours has been her longest)

I know she's too young to cio, and i know she is hungry at night, but i can;t help but wonder now if she could be going longer than 6 hours and is just in the habit. does your LO ever fuss in the night that you ignore? what is your rule of thumb? ignore fussing, but feed all out crying?

Re: Curious about transition to sttn

• We don't get up for fussing, she usually goes back to sleep on her own.  If it escalates to crying we intervene.  When she was younger and would take the paci DH would offer that first and if that didn't work then I'd feed her.  Now she won't take a paci, but most times all it takes is picking her up and she stops/goes back to sleep almost immediately.  Again, that's only for a full on cry.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sometimes she doesn't make a peep, but most of the times she will make noise, so we go in, pop in the paci, and then she goes right back to bed.  I never feed her unless she is really throwing a fit and it is obvious that something is different. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a video monitor and we don't get up for fussing.  Crying, we give her a minute and if she's still crying, we go in.  Now that she's been STTN for over two months, we don't necessarily feed her.  Sometimes she just needs to be soothed (rocked, bounced) for a few minutes and she'll fall back asleep.  If she doesn't, then we'll feed her- but only after we've tried everything else. 

eta:  She won't take a pacifier.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageWildcatPrincess:
    We don't get up for fussing, she usually goes back to sleep on her own.  If it escalates to crying we intervene.  When she was younger and would take the paci DH would offer that first and if that didn't work then I'd feed her.  Now she won't take a paci, but most times all it takes is picking her up and she stops/goes back to sleep almost immediately.  Again, that's only for a full on cry.

This is how we normally do it. We do give her a few moments to see if she is just fussing, in which case she puts herself back to sleep. We do make sure that it truly is for food before we get her up. She normally goes to bed between 7-7:30 and is up for a bottle between 3-5am and will sleep till 7:30-8:30.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Definitely DON'T jump up at the first little peep!  I wait 5, sometimes 10 minutes as long as he's not crying.  He usually goes back to sleep on his own but it takes a couple minutes.
    Photobucket

Bar tab = $156,000, Bus to Foxwoods = $0, Puking in the Stanley Cup = Priceless

• My DS has STTN since 5 weeks thanks to putting cereal in his last bottle at midnight. He usually doesn't make a peep till about 9-10am. If he does wake up then i let him fuss and he usually goes back to sleep. If he starts to full at cry I go in a try to calm him give paci before i feed him.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickersimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"