Baby Names
Options

Freakonomics dissection of baby names and class

What do you guys think about this?

I find it really interesting.  

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

Re: Freakonomics dissection of baby names and class

• Options

Freakonomics is the reason for the apple in the Baby Names Regular badge.

Loved the book. Can't argue with the data.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Yes, it's very interesting, and like the pp said, you can't argue with the data!
  • Options
    It totally rings true with my experience.  Love the book.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageBlueRidge8:

I loved the book as well, was actually flipping through it today.   I remember Adair was mentioned.   Is that where you got the idea?   I'm not being snarky, just curious.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    imageBlueRidge8:

Really? I wish someone would explain the badge to me. Every time I ask about it, no one replies. I'm not sure if it's because they don't see my inquiry, or because they don't want me to know.

Okay, I googled, and found out it's the cover of freakonomics. I don't think the one I read had that cover (or maybe I just forgot), so I hadn't made the connection.

So, is the badge saying there is a hidden world of baby names that most people don't know about or care to see; but as BN board regulars, we see below the surface and recognize the pitfalls of trendiegh/made up/misspelled names, and therefore we typically don't like the popular choice?

• Options
    imageReniaB:
    imageBlueRidge8:

I loved the book as well, was actually flipping through it today.   I remember Adair was mentioned.   Is that where you got the idea?   I'm not being snarky, just curious.   

It's funny you mention that. I picked Adair after staying in Adare, Ireland and was going to spell her name like the town, but I wavered because of the "A Dare" association. When I re-read the names chapter and saw Adair spelled like that, it did sway me :)

• Options
    imageEaglefoot23:
    imageBlueRidge8:

Really? I wish someone would explain the badge to me. Every time I ask about it, no one replies. I'm not sure if it's because they don't see my inquiry, or because they don't want me to know.

Okay, I googled, and found out it's the cover of freakonomics. I don't think the one I read had that cover (or maybe I just forgot), so I hadn't made the connection.

So, is the badge saying there is a hidden world of baby names that most people don't know about or care to see; but as BN board regulars, we see below the surface and recognize the pitfalls of trendiegh/made up/misspelled names, and therefore we typically don't like the popular choice?

I'd say that's pretty spot on for me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"