Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Addicted to painkillers

Does anybody have a family member who is addicted to painkillers?  If so, do you have any advice on how to deal with them around your LO?  I am currently dealing with this with my MIL, and it's such a crappy situation to be in.  She's had this problem for years due to numerous back problems, and it's just totally changed her.  She obviously loves her only grandkid, but I just don't trust her alone around the baby; I'm having difficulty addressing this in a way that is sensitive to my husband and his family.  I don't want to cause a huge family rift, but my son comes first. 
My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Addicted to painkillers

• Options

Last year my father was addicted to GHB. It is a steroid but it also gets you high. We didn't know what he was on exactly but we knew he was on something. It was a terrible feeling and the choice between letting him hold my son and starting a big fight... I started a big fight. It was the turning point of my father getting help. Shortly after my Dad was admitted to the hospital and he got off the GHB. Things are far from perfect but I'm not afraid anymore.

I hope you find some peace soon. Fight the fight... It's worth it!

AnniversaryPhotobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

My cousin, who is like my sister, was addicted to Oxycodone for 2 years after having her LO. She had a botched C-section and had to be on the pills for a while, and then became addicted. She is clean now, after being on soboxone (sp?) for a year.

She had her LO at the same time I had DS, and I still brought DS around her, as she functioned pretty well. I wouldn't let her babysit, and just found ways around it if she asked. I didn't ever come right out and say it was because she had a problem. She knew she had a problem, and was pretty ashamed.

Just keep the peace, but keep your child safe. I would say it is fine to be around her, just don't leave LO alone with her.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you should say it to your dh just like you wrote. You love your son and he comes first and due to his mothers addiction, you are frightened to leave them alone together. Even if she wasn't addicted and had genuine use for them, I wouldn't leave my child with someone under the influence of narcotics.
    someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• Options
    Thank you for the responses thus far.  Sometimes I feel crazy for not trusting her alone with him because she is good with him and loves him to death.  However, she looks and acts horrible these days  because of the drugs, and I would never forgive myself if anything happened to him when I should have stepped in.  I wish this didn't have to be so hard.  I've had so much tragedy in my family and this is just one more awful thing to add to the crapheap.
    My son is toddling his way to two! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I could have written this post word for word. Luckily we only see my MIL for 2 days at a time 3-4 times a year. We don't leave her alone with him and her brothers/DH & I tried to have an intervention last year... but that was a BIG FAT FAIL. :( She knows that she has a problem and it has gotten better...

You and DH speak for your son, so go with your gut! My DH and I are honest with each other and that helps also.

GL

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"