March 2011 Moms

Baby shower drama.. am i wrong...

for being a little upset?

My shower is tomorrow because we are going to another state in  a month to stay for work until after the baby is born. Invites were sent out and there are about 10 people coming to the shower,however, a few of those people coming told me they would have no gift. I dont really mind but what makes me mad is i KNOW the reason they are coming is because the host mentioned serving sangrias before hand. I dont think its fair to come to a shower to get free drinks and not bring a gift. Am I in the wrong and just being selfish?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Baby shower drama.. am i wrong...

• Um isn't the point of a shower to give baby gifts!??!  That is odd in my oipinion for someone to say they are going to come to the shower for the "free food" or "free drinks" but not bring a gift.  Seems kind of rude IMHO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would be a little hurt.  A gift doesn't have to cost a lot of money.  It could even be a nice message in a card or a $10 gift card to BRU.  It seems odd that they would flat out say they weren't bringing a gift.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • The baby shower is to celebrate the baby - gifts shouldn't be expected, but it's certainly the norm.  I wouldn't let it bother you.  Maybe it's a hard time financially to purchase gifts with the holidays so close and they still want to celebrate your new arrival with you.  I wouldn't judge so quickly.
  • The whole point of a baby shower is to bring gifts for the mother/baby. If you don`t want to give a gift, then you don`t go to the shower. They are being very rude. Espcially if it`s only 10 person shower.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • it's customary to bring gifts. i know not everyone does because of money issues or whatever, but why would they make a point to tell you that they weren't bringing a gift?! that's just weird.
    Bre Wrties
  • WOW!!!!! Not wrong at all!!!! I would be ticked off too!!! Not to mention, its not too cool to serve alcohol when the guest of honor can't have it!  That's not fair... I wouldn't be ok with that!  (Not that I'm a lush or anything, but thats not fun when everyone else is enjoying happy hour and you can't!) 

I think its personally rude to go to a party without a gift- no matter how small or cheap...  you bring something...  I'm sorry you have to deal with that... I hope you have fun anyways and get nice things from the people who are actually coming for the right reasons. 

HarLynn's mama
  • I would be upset.  I understand in certain situation you can't afford a gift, but in that case I wouldn't go to the shower.  And to announce before hand that you won't be bringing a gift is really strange!
  • I dont think your being selfish, the point is to honor you and the baby not to get free drinks/food. I had something similar happen at mine (we're Military and only could go back in Oct.) I had guest stand out side Smoking and talking *** about the hard work that my little sister put in to planning. 
    www.sbdesigns13.etsy.com
  • imagecitychicks:
    The whole point of a baby shower is to bring gifts for the mother/baby. If you don`t want to give a gift, then you don`t go to the shower. They are being very rude. Espcially if it`s only 10 person shower.

This is exactly what I was thinking!!!  I have been in that situation and I've always just explained the situation to the person and helped them in other ways or given them gifts when money was more free... I would never go to the shower without a gift though!!!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's rude and I would be upset.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageverona_1999:
    I would be upset.  I understand in certain situation you can't afford a gift, but in that case I wouldn't go to the shower.  And to announce before hand that you won't be bringing a gift is really strange!

This completely. The purpose of a baby shower is to shower a mother with gifts. I would never dream of attending a hosted event without at least a little something in hand. Especially when the guest list is so small. There are many low-cost gift ideas out there, even free ones if one is creative. No excuse.

• imageMarch2011Mama:

imageverona_1999:
    I would be upset.  I understand in certain situation you can't afford a gift, but in that case I wouldn't go to the shower.  And to announce before hand that you won't be bringing a gift is really strange!

This completely. The purpose of a baby shower is to shower a mother with gifts. I would never dream of attending a hosted event without at least a little something in hand. Especially when the guest list is so small. There are many low-cost gift ideas out there, even free ones if one is creative. No excuse.

ALL of this.

• I think it's extremely tacky of them to think they can come without bringing anything.  If the reason they're coming is for the sangria, surely they're ordering drinks when they go to dinner or buying wine to have at home.  I don't buy the whole strapped for cash thing.  Give up one bottle of wine or 2-3 drinks when you're out to dinner, and there's your $10-$20 for a gift card.  If that's not the case, make a gift.  Never show up empty handed. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagecitychicks:
    The whole point of a baby shower is to bring gifts for the mother/baby. If you don`t want to give a gift, then you don`t go to the shower. They are being very rude. Espcially if it`s only 10 person shower.

My thoughts exactly! I would be pissed! 

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker
  • I'd rather have my friends come without a gift and celebrate with me, than not come at all.  That may just be me, but I'd rather have a good time with friends and family than worry about gifts any day.

At the same time I can't imagine any of my friends, no matter how hard off, coming without a gift of some sort though. Even if it's just a little stuffed animal, or a book or whatnot.

• that is really rude. I have really cheap friends but your friends sound sh**tier than mine
  • You should ask the host to not serve sangria beforehand that would serve them right if they are only coming to have a few cocktails. Are you sure they are coming only for that reason though? I can't imagine any of my friends or relatives doing this it's just awful and tacky. YUCK!!! I wouldn't have a problem with someone not bringing a gift but to call someone up to tell them, tacky again. Have a good time though try not to worry about the gift part of the shower I'm sure you will get plenty of great things for the baby.
    BFP 7/17/12 DD#1 3/10/10 BFP 3/26/12 Natural MC 4/11/12 #2 Due 3/30/12
  • Rude and thoughtless I would be upset too.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageJanaVT9183:
    I think it's extremely tacky of them to think they can come without bringing anything.  If the reason they're coming is for the sangria, surely they're ordering drinks when they go to dinner or buying wine to have at home.  I don't buy the whole strapped for cash thing.  Give up one bottle of wine or 2-3 drinks when you're out to dinner, and there's your $10-$20 for a gift card.  If that's not the case, make a gift.  Never show up empty handed. 

So stinkin' true! There's no real excuse not to bring a gift because you could even do home made! And there are plenty of shops out there too like TJ Maxx, Ross or whatnot where you can find something for a very, very low price. To not bring anything seems very tacky. I would be hurt too...it's not like it's the size of the gift but it's the though and care in loving on this LO and you, that counts! 

imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"