Parenting after a Loss
Options

BFing moms...Weight question..

How do you go on a diet while BFing?  Not really a diet..because I know that's impossible.  But how have you managed to lose your weight while BFing.  It seems like I'm stuck! I lost the 23lbs after DS...13 I gained during pregnancy.  But...I had gained 40 lbs before I got pregnant due to having my M/C...so I turned to food!( I know I know).  Well...now I'm trying to get back to aroun 175lbs.  I just need a good way todo it without losing my supply.  Any thoughts? Any good recipes that helped you?

**By the way...DH and I agreed if I lose my 45-50lbs I want to lose..then we will start trying for another LO!**

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BFing moms...Weight question..

• Options

Ha ha.  I BF'd DD1 for 7 months and only lost weight when I went dairy-, soy-, wheat-, egg- and corn-free.  So basically all I could eat was meat and veggies.  I dropped 10 lbs.  But my milk supply also dried up (although that could have been due to the pregnancy). 

I think I'm going to lose weight this time.  Partly because I'm dairy-free again (which cuts down on a lot of the fat in my diet), but mostly because I do not have time to eat!  I make sure I get my three meals a day but snacks are hard.  And I can't eat what DD1 eats because I'm trying to load her up with cheese and butter to put some weight on her skinny thighs.

I realize this is not helpful information for you ... but if I were not dairy-free and was trying to lose weight, I'd probably make sure to fill up on tons of veggies and limit my processed food.  That will make a big difference.

Traveling the world with my girls - born 12 months and 18 days apart.
    <a href="http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y161/putalittlepolkainyourdot/?action=view
  • Options
    imageroundtheworldgirl:

Ha ha.  I BF'd DD1 for 7 months and only lost weight when I went dairy-, soy-, wheat-, egg- and corn-free.  So basically all I could eat was meat and veggies.  I dropped 10 lbs.  But my milk supply also dried up.

This was me. I don't recommend any sort of diet if you want to continue breastfeeding. Going dairy-free KILLED my supply and I'm pretty sure all breastfeeding books/information/websites/LC's will tell you not to diet.

missed miscarriage began 04/08, ended 07/08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelovesinthehouse:
    imageroundtheworldgirl:

Ha ha.  I BF'd DD1 for 7 months and only lost weight when I went dairy-, soy-, wheat-, egg- and corn-free.  So basically all I could eat was meat and veggies.  I dropped 10 lbs.  But my milk supply also dried up.

This was me. I don't recommend any sort of diet if you want to continue breastfeeding. Going dairy-free KILLED my supply and I'm pretty sure all breastfeeding books/information/websites/LC's will tell you not to diet.

I know you can't diet...I just need I guess some advice one what to eat to lose the weight a little more.  I really am WAY heavier than I've ever been before.

• Options
    Lower your carbs, I think we all tend to eat to many, also replace all white and sugar carbs with brown and multigrain. Be careful of portion size, typically half your plate is vegetables, meat and carbs serving is a portion the size of your palm.  I lost 12 lbs in 40 days once just giving up pop, and I wasn't a big pop drinker.
    Marie, wife to Ron, mom to DS
  • Options

I agree with PPs, but maybe a better start would be for you to list what you ate today.

• Options
    Idk, I barely ate the first 2 months because I never had time, and my supply was fine. J double his birthweight and i lost all 30 that I gained with him. Still working on 15 more from my first pregnancy but it's slower now that I'm back to work and have more time for lunch, etc.
    BFP #1- 1/16/09- Baby Ava stillborn at 32 weeks, possible cord accident, 7/30/09
    BFP #2- 1/5/10- Baby Jack born at 37w2d, 6lbs 13 oz, 8/24/10
    BFP #3- 7/30/11- Baby Boy Due April 3, 2012
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Question, why do you have to lose 40-50lbs before you can try for #3?

Exercise like crazy. I was super fat post DD (child #1) and hadn't yet lost it all when I got pregnant with DS (#2). When he was born I started taking them both hiking. I'd carry her in a backpack and strap him on the front. Hiking with and extra 50+lbs makes the weight melt away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I just saw some info on this on kellymom when I was trying to look up how many extra calories are needed whlie BF-ing (300-500 it turns out).

https://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html

• Options

I have lost 75 pounds since the day I gave birth to DS.  The first 25 pounds came off right away, and I lost the other 50 pounds by diet and exercise.  As far as diet goes I pretty much just cut down my portions and tried to make better choices.  I pretty much still make the same foods as I always have, I just stop myself from going back for 2nds and don't have dessert every night.  For exercise I did the "Couch to 5K" program and got up to the point where I was running 15 to 20 miles per week after DS went to bed at night.  It didn't affect my supply, but I've always had a massive, massive oversupply anyway.  I lost all my baby weight and my miscarriage weight and now I weigh 5 lbs less than I did when I got married 3 years ago.  I was NOT a runner before this.  I highly recommend:

https://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/

Prolactinoma, Hypothyroidism, PCOS m/c 8-19-08 @ 9wks 3d
    "And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it everyday and I know that I am the luckiest."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imagecitychicks:

Exercise like crazy. I was super fat post DD (child #1) and hadn't yet lost it all when I got pregnant with DS (#2). When he was born I started taking them both hiking. I'd carry her in a backpack and strap him on the front. Hiking with and extra 50+lbs makes the weight melt away.

I WANT to lose the weight before trying again.  I don't want to be 45-50lbs Overweight...and then pack on more weight getting pregnant.  So...I figure if I lose the weight now...I'll be healthier before having anothe child and then we can try for another one.  Oh..and I did mean #3...lol!  I was thinking baby and Sky's a big girl! lol!

• Options
    What about weight watchers?  They have it set up so you get extra points if you're BF.  And you HAVE to eat a minimum number of points, so it doesn't let you eat too little
  • Options
    imageMrs.KS:

I have lost 75 pounds since the day I gave birth to DS.  The first 25 pounds came off right away, and I lost the other 50 pounds by diet and exercise.  As far as diet goes I pretty much just cut down my portions and tried to make better choices.  I pretty much still make the same foods as I always have, I just stop myself from going back for 2nds and don't have dessert every night.  For exercise I did the "Couch to 5K" program and got up to the point where I was running 15 to 20 miles per week after DS went to bed at night.  It didn't affect my supply, but I've always had a massive, massive oversupply anyway.  I lost all my baby weight and my miscarriage weight and now I weigh 5 lbs less than I did when I got married 3 years ago.  I was NOT a runner before this.  I highly recommend:

I actually saw this program before! But..I was skeptical that it wouldn't work.  That's awesome that it does! I'm doing it! Thanks!

• Options
    imagenferrante:
    imageMrs.KS:

I actually saw this program before! But..I was skeptical that it wouldn't work.  That's awesome that it does! I'm doing it! Thanks!

Yay!  Its a 9 week program, so I recommend signing up for a 5K about 12 weeks out just to give yourself a few weeks after completing the program to run your 5ks a few times per week.  This program was the answer to my weight problems and I hope it works for you!  

Prolactinoma, Hypothyroidism, PCOS m/c 8-19-08 @ 9wks 3d
    "And where was I before the day that I first saw your lovely face? Now I see it everyday and I know that I am the luckiest."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imagenferrante:
    imagecitychicks:

I WANT to lose the weight before trying again.  I don't want to be 45-50lbs Overweight...and then pack on more weight getting pregnant.  So...I figure if I lose the weight now...I'll be healthier before having anothe child and then we can try for another one.  Oh..and I did mean #3...lol!  I was thinking baby and Sky's a big girl! lol!

Lol, that's what I did right after DS. DD is nearly 4 now, and hikes on her own. But I still try to force DS in the backpack so I can burn the extra calories (I've been gainning more weight than I'd like this time around). But if your DS is only 7mths I put him in some kind of carrier and get moving.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagenferrante:
    imageMrs.KS:

I also did the program right before getting pregnant - I got up to 2 miles right on schedule, then got my BFP, and stopped. It was difficult but doable and I felt great about myself!

• Options
    I have no idea... I gained 30lbs during my pg and lost 23... I still can't get the last 7 off but I eat whatever I want like a bowl of ice cream every night and am still stuck here, so I don't mind, I'll work to lose that last 7 after I finish BFing... Maybe adding in some exercise?
    BFP #1: 10/17/08 EDD: 6/24/09-missed m/c; d&c on 12/8/08 BFP #2: 11/7/09 EDD: 7/15/10-Cabe born on 7/9/10 BFP #3: 10/7/11 EDD: 6/20/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker A Butterfly lies beside us like a sunbeam and for a brief moment, its beauty and glory belong to our world. But then it flies on again. And though we wish it could have stayed we feel so lucky to have seen it. In loving memory of MrsTyson's precious Julia.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"