Working Moms

am I being paranoid?

I was recently hired at a new job, and they need a copy of my social security card, a voided check for direct deposit, and they want me to fill out a form with my name, address, telephone number, and birthdate on it. 

The person I spoke with about this told me to just email or fax this information to her.  This seems like a lot of personal information to be going through email or sitting on a fax machine until she decides to get to it.  I told her that I would bring it to her next time I came in for work (in two days).  She was all annoyed.

Am I being weird?  Would you just send this information?  I was suprised that she even asked for it that way. 

Re: am I being paranoid?

• I'd probably send it but my husband wouldn't. I tell him he's paranoid but he's probably just smart.  :)  if you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.  miss thing can wait.
  • No way I'd fax or email that. 2 day delay is not a long time for the piece of mind. She'll get over it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    met DH 1995 ~ married DH 2006 ~ completed our family 2008
    Life is good!
  • Loading the player...
  • I would wait, 2 days is not that long. I had to fax all that info to my HR when I was hired because my HR is across the country, but I wouldn't if I didn't have to.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would wait the 2 days.  There's no way I would send a voided check or my SS card over fax or email (my email just got hacked via the work server yesterday!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You aren't being paranoid.  And any respectable HR person would understand your concerns (I am in HR).  Safe guarding employee data is a major part of our role.  

While I appreciate that they want to get things set up before you actually start I think it's weird that she suggested you email the information to her.   The faxing - might have been ok if the fax is actually in HR and not used by others in other departments.  But really, she should have told you that up front anticipating that you would have questions about security.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"